PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
So I've been smoking a pipe for awhile now, exploring new blends, being bit by the PAD and TAD bug every now and then (more often than my wallet would like :) ). So far I've enjoyed every moment of it.
I do however, seem to have a problem building a cake on the inside of my pipes. I have a Savinelli morino, my first pipe, that is my favourite smoker. My only complaint is that it has a tendency to smoke hot, especially with aromatics. A cake would be awesome in this pipe, seeing as how often I smoke it.
So here's my after smoking routine. Dump out the ashes, clean the stem and shank with pipe cleaners, then clean the inside of the bowl with a Q-tip. I'm very thorough, and don't leave much in the way of gunk on the inside of the bowl.
Today I tried something different. Instead of just immediately dumping the ashes, I put my thumb on the top of the bowl, and shook the pipe around, distributing the ash, then dumped out the dottle. I did my normal pipe cleaner routine, but didn't run a Q-tip around the inside of the bowl. I just left the ash as it was on the inside of the bowl.
So is this way a good solution to building up a good cake? Will it cause my pipe to get sour faster? What do you guys do for building cakes?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I tend to keep the cake much less than the thickness of a dime.

One of these days I'm gonna let one of my pipe's cake build up to

a great thickness just to see why some folks allow that to happen.
ps. I would eschew the Q-tip in favor of a wad of paper towel -- during the break-in period, anyway.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I don't clean bowls much really. Other than the mechanical reaming that is sometime needed I just dump out the ashes. I do have many pipes, and like to smoke just about all of them. Like others though I think whatever you do it is not that big of a deal unless your cakes become out of control.
Personally I don't believe the Qtip routine is required..... or paper towels. I do use pipe cleaners, but not on the bowl. My only rule is I have pipes for VAs, pipes for English blends, and pipes for aros. Sometime I break that rules too. Every once in while a nice aro tastes great out of a VA pipe.
I have always fallen more on the side of "just smoke it and enjoy rather than worry". If it tastes good who cares? I always let my pipes rest for 24 hours before I smoke the same one again. I have a few pipes that I love to smoke out of and that rule gets broken too, but I am still happy with the flavor but I keep on smoking and follow those rough guidelines.
If your cake is souring you pipe.... take a senor reamer to it. Problem solved, smoke more, worry less.

Status
Not open for further replies.