PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
can 100% cotton be used or must it be muslin? harbor freight has them in cotton and is close by. These will be placed on my bench grinder

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard K9shag!
I can't speak to the buffing wheel's composition, cotton or muslin; however, speed is your enemy.

Go slow, a high speed can generate too much heat and could damage your pipe.
:puffy:

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I can only vouch for the Beall system. Night and day difference to cheapo 6$ Mastercraft cotton wheels. The beall wheels' material is exactly fitted to the 3 wood buffing compounds: tripoli brown, diamond white and carbauba.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
The Beall system is the only way to go if you are serious about polishing your pipes. How ever, the speed of the motor is just as important. A grinder going 3750 rpm is way too fast for a 4 or 6in buff. Remember the larger the wheel, the faster the S.F.P.M or surface speed. I use and it is recommeded a motor that is running at 1725rpm which gives you a S.F.P.M with a 4in buff of around 1500, which is about right. Do not use a Dermel, they are way too fast, and they are to hard to control.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Mikemacrdlnds,
good call. I forgot to mention that I am using a 3750 RPM bench grinder that I stripped down. In my area there were no 1750 RPM motors to be found.
However, Beall gives you two options: they have a special 4" wheel package of their Wood Buff System that's meant to be used with 3750 RPM motors, and they have a set of bowl wood buffs in 2", 3" and 4". I personally went with the 4" bowl wood buff system since I really really like the bigger surface of the bowl buffs, and I can also much more easily polish the smaller areas of fancier designed pipes much more easily than I could with standard wheels.
I have never had any problems at all buffing my pipes, and other types of wood such as Maple and Oak. You have to make sure though not to press the wood to deep into the buffs to prevent overheating - and possibly burning your wood.
As a special note: only the 4" bowl buffs have the SAME materials as the Wood buff System wheels (the tripoli is all linen, the white diamond is a mix of linen and cotton plies 50/50, and the carnauba wheel is is soft cotton flannel material) - however, it does NOT come with the 1/2" adapter. I bought two of those separately since they are awesome - so easy and fast to get the wheels on and off it's a charme!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You can get an arbor for your motor and pads at Jestco.com. I use sewn cotton buffs for the Tripoli and white diamond, loose cotton for carnuba. Member Smokindawg also sells a Beall type system for a little lower cost. (Arbor and pads)

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Can't seem to find a low rpm buffer or grinder my 6" craftsman is a 3450 rpm so can I use the beall 4" system without hurting the pipes or do I need to build a buffer

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
I was able to get a motor at thrift shop for $20. It is a 110 watt 1725rpm swimming pool motor with a 5/8 in shaft. The Beall arbor fits right on the shaft. Check your local swimming pool supply stores, they might have some used motors. Make sure it is 110w, not 220w ,

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
IMG_2241.jpg

I picked this up for well lets say I horse traded for an old circular saw. 1/3hp 1725 rpm clockwise rotation. Wish it had shafts on both ends but the price was right. Now to order the beall system

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
well I just called Beall and found out I cannot use their system since my shaft runs clockwise. They said without a couter clockwise rotation the wheels will spin off. Now to figure out if i can reverse the rotation.

degglesfield

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
I'm also looking to get the beall system,.....I can't really afford a variable speed doohickey for the 8" wheels, so getting say a small bench grinder at 3000rpm speeds and the 4" wheels would be the correct trade off......god I've been looking on the infrawebbs all day am so confused at what to get, all part of the newb process I guess lol

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
degglesfield: I get ya bro! If you are in the US, check our Sears they have a nice 6" bench grinder for cheap (~ 60$) that has good reviews. If you are in Canada, check the Mastercraft one from Canadian Tire (~50$). They are both 3450 RPM, 6", in correct rotation direction for Beall system :)

degglesfield

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
And if you buy a bench grinder the wheels have to turn anti clockwise or the 4" wheels will spin off......aaaaarrrgh why can't it be simple

degglesfield

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
have just been speaking via email to a beall system rep here in the UK and apparently the 4" system is ideal for 6" bench grinders, but as mentioned in previous posts the bench grinder would be too fast for the 8" wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.