PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Went to clean up a stem today and had a problem with the buffing wheel used for Tripoli. I got these white streaks show up on the stem. The streaks appeared to be a coating that I could scrape off with my fingernail. I did not add any Tripoli to the wheel when I started so I added some and got the same result. I have been using the same wheel for Tripoli for years and can't think of why this is happening. Any ideas?

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Good thinking about the Carnuba. That does make sense. Next time I will wipe the stem down down with alcohol hopefully to get off the wax first. I tried to lighten my touch and not press too hard but the same thing happened. It would not hurt to clean up the wheel. I usually use some sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood but can't remember the last time I cleaned up any of my buffing wheels.
Thanks

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think you will find a rough hack saw blade will work much better to completely clean your wheels and regain the original "looseness". I used that for several year, then bought a proper rake tool at Eastwood - which was a 100% improvement over the hacksaw blade. The wheels get matted down with material and use and if you aren't careful, will burn the buffed material. Particularly with an aggressive medium like Tripoli. I very rarely use Tripoli on pipes. I prefer to remove oxidation via high grade sandpaper than buff the final finish with White Diamond/Red Rouge and Plastic polish.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Did not even know there was such a thing as a buffer rake. I just ordered one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Let me know if that solves your issue. I used my hacksaw blade for many years, than I was astounded at how much better the proper rake works.

Status
Not open for further replies.