PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Hey guys, looking to get a motor for polishing estate pipes... I have a table mounted one for a grinder and 3500rpm is a tad fast.
See a (semi) local guy selling them for $25 each, has 5 of them... the last 3 look to be the correct speed, but, the "frame" I have no idea what that is. That, and 3/4hp vs 1/3hp... same rpm not sure which would better to get.
- 1 HP, 550 V, 1.3 A, 3,450/2,850 RPM 2-speed, Frame 56

- 3/4 HP, 550 V, 0.94 A, 3,450 RPM, TEFC, Frame 56/T6

- 3/4 HP, 550 V, 0.84 A, 1,725 RPM, Frame 171

- 1/3 HP, 550 V, 0.55 A, 1,725 RPM, Frame H56

- 1/3 HP, 550 V, 0.55 A, 1,725 RPM, Frame H56
I also saw a post in passing once, someone saying they needed to reverse the rotation to counter clockwise... not sure if that's just their preference based on how they mounted it to the table? or if something to do with preventing the bolt holding the buffing pad on from unwinding. Wish I could find that article again, had a link to a pipe tool store that sold adapters for the motor for attaching pads.
Figured I'd post here, see if anyone has any advice/help... Thanks :)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
For buffing, 1/3 hp is all you need. I run 4 of them side by side, but if you only have one, get an arbor by Beall that will let you mount and dismount buffs and sanding discs very quickly. For estates, I'd run one buff with white diamond, one with Carnauba, and one with tripoli for stubborn stem oxidation...and maybe a horsehair buff for sandblasts...

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have been looking local, and can only find the 3 HP, 3600 RPM/10k RPM buffer/grinders. The only once that run lower are the dual speeds and they run over $120.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya, when I was looking online 5min ago I came across those tapered bits and seem like a good way to go.
I ordered high quality carnauba wax and white compound last night because saw a few posts mentioning that there is cheap stuff out there to avoid so, hopefully grabbed the right stuff.
Where I was a bit lost on however, was the mounting. Frame 171 and H56? Which from what I can tell is the mounting plate which, doesn't matter since mounting it myself to a table.
8" polishing pad, 50ply cotton should be good? Is it better to have it stitched? or lose? or doesn't matter?

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I have a drill press... but the wheel spinning horizontal vs vertical sounds a bit more difficult to work with.
I did debate using a hand drill... for now at least, and 6" pads. Maybe use a long zip-tie to hold the drill down. I got 18 estate pipes to clean up and probably keep 3. It's still debatable if after this batch, I'll buy more and make it into a new hobby.
That being said... $25 for a motor didn't seem too bad. I have a table top/stand not being used so, can use it for pipes, and get another pad for polishing motorcycle parts as well.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Nope, those are 550 Volts, kind of standard in big machine shops, that and 220. Your best bet would probably be to stay away from those. I still would probably call the guy to verify the 550V just to be safe.
As far as buffs go, remember it is Surface Feet Per Minute that you are looking for with as low an RPM (1725 - 1750)as is useful.
For Tripoli I use a loose sewn flannel buff. For White Diamond I use a loose sewn 50/50 buff of flannel and soft cotton and for the Carnauba with I use a loose sewn soft cotton buff. Remember to also get a buff rake to keep them clean.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You want the LOOSE wheels. In other words don't get get the ones that are spiral stitched.
I also saw a post in passing once, someone saying they needed to reverse the rotation to counter clockwise...
The surface of the wheel (as you face it) will always (MUST) be going in a downward motion. If by chance it were going the other way you would end up with a face full of buffing compound, or worse yet, a pipe sticking out of your forehead if by chance it slipped out of your hands!

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya, I figured downwards... wasn't sure if he needed reversed simply because of the table it was being attached to gave no options to face the motor the other way, or, if for the wheel mount, if spinning the other way made the pad get loose and fall off. For me, I can mount in either direction so no worries for me in that regard.
Emailed the guy asking about voltage, if indeed 550v, then I'll have to pass for sure. We have 120, and 220... but no 550. :)
Old furnace motors are around 1700rpm 115v... maybe I'll see if any of those around.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
If you want to buy a new motor, Harbor Freight sells a fan cooled bench motor that turns at 1750RPM for somewhere between $105 and $150. Not sure if you can get it online or if it is an in store only thing.
Pipemakers.org sells a similar one for $158 to $173.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya... problem for me is... Canada.
We have a Princess Auto (lame name) which is the same as your Harbour Freight, but, half the size.
They have a motor with an unusually long shaft for $50 (counter clockwise)
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-electric-motor/A-p8566150e
Otherwise, $120 for the other one they offer
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-3-hp-furnace-electric-motor/A-p0752741e
But, just jumped from a $25 used motor to $120 so, not happening. Too many hobbies to spend that much on 1 item. But now that I know furnace motors should work, I'm sure someone has one for sale. Actually, business across the street fixes furnaces. Maybe they have a few.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Remember, those motors you listed at Princess Auto and the ones at the furnace shop are going to have to be wired. You will probably need to wire up a start and/or run capacitor. Not that hard, but it is not going to be a "plug and play" option.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya... I figured most will require me grabbing 6' of cord and a plug, not too hard. But, likely I'll watch on kijiji/craig's list.
Found one, 40min away... guy had it setup for buffing/sanding... $10. Said still for sale, 1,750rpm... just confirming if has a cord on it and the shaft size, which I gather 5/8" seems to be what most are.
$_20.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have an old furnace motor. 1/2 HP @ 1725 RPM. A piece of washing machine cable and a toggle switch, then mount to my vise.
Jestco is the way to go for the arbor, they offer left or right hand units for less than $20:

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40
A good place for pads as well. I use sewn buffs for White Diamond and plastic polish and loose for the carnuba wheel.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use two 1725 RPM, 120 Volt motors and use the same Jestco arbors that Al uses --a left and a right. No need to reverse motor direction. Easy to wire and I use a simple light switch. These are 1/6th and 1/4 HP and both have plenty of power for buffing and sanding. I have rigged up another arbor with a drill chuck for the motor on the right to use sanding disks.

100_6097-1280x9601-600x450.jpg

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
No way to say this without laughing, but, I'm noticing a lot of guys with long shafts in here. :D
Seriously though, most that I've seen online look 3-4" long. Are yours all long because of the adapter for attaching the wheel?
I was looking at something like these... kinda twist the wheel on/off without bolts.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290834534514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
$(KGrHqRHJCoFHK5fnHieBR0bcOCwJQ~~60_12.JPG

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Longer arbors gives you more room to work. Handy for doing a long shank pipe or doing stems that are in place. Those in your pic will work with the right type of buffing wheel.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You know what they say about guys with long shafts? Long socks.
The friction fit, twist on arbors look problematic to me. Someone else on another forum had issues with them loosening up under buffing pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.