PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I just bought a two sided, light buffing wheel (1750 rpm) and I was wondering which buffing compounds would be best to use?

I will just be shining up a few pipes and stems here and there, getting rid of that pesky oxidation.

I don't want anything to aggressive that might damage my pipes, I was thinking white or blue but not sure.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Tripoli and carnuba wax are two that you'll need along with a clean buff for each of those two "compounds".

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Tripoli in brown or red form is a little rougher than a guy might ideally finish with - most pipe makers have a number of wheels and compounds - depending on how hard it is to swap wheels on the buffer, you might at a "white diamond" wheel between tripoli and wax to really get a nice finish.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Sasquatch, Tripoli should be rarely used, probably never for light restoration. On a really banged up pipe, where some dents can't be steamed out, Tripoli can smooth over those. But, you alter the pipe forever, so it is a last resort.
White Diamond is a must and bar of carnuba wax. I use the White Diamond on a sewn cloth wheel, and the carnuba on a loose cloth wheel. Jestco Products or Caswell Electroplating have good prices on buffing pads.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I'm with Al...I forgot about the white diamond. I use that mostly and occasionally the tripoli, and carnuba.

Status
Not open for further replies.