Buffing, by the God's it shall be shiny!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Sitting here enjoying a wee pipe. It is a Dunhill 107. I only know this because I have it written down.
I bought it as an estate and it smokes wonderfully. But the Piper before me was a buffer!! Apparently he liked to shave using the pipe as a mirror. Even the button has dang near been buffed away. I noticed as I was smoking it this morning I cannot read the nomenclature. It is a great smoker and I will never let it go.
But for buffers, my friends you want to polish and I understand, but when your removing wood and the bit to the point you cannot read the words and the bit is gone, your buffing too much!
To me that much buffing simply messes up any pipe. Mostly just an observation I came up with while smoking. Buffers are dangerous and be careful my fellow Piper's!!

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I use my toys whether it's a fly rod, a shotgun or a pipe. I love quality toys but they are ment to be used and enjoyed. A simi-famous bamboo fly rod maker friend of mine, once sold a hand made rod to a fellow who didn't want to fish it. He just wanted to collect it and display it. This rod maker gave the man his money back and claimed back his rod. He made it to be used, not worshiped. I believe in taking care of stuff but not at the expense of using it for what the maker had planned. Smoke the damn things and get on with life! Clean it when it needs it, but don't get obsessive over things.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
If I came off as I do not appreciate the aesthetics of a pipe I did not mean to do so. I clean when they need it, I even use a fancy cloth to protect and shine. I would never own anything I do not use. Things are made to be used. I finds pipes to.be magical. Even a simple billiard can have an amazing simplistic beauty. It is hard for me to define "it" but if the carver misses "it" I and everyone else noticies they missed! Or there are Carver's that see things differently. I will never own one of those because I do not think I could smoke it and that's what a pipe is for lol.
I meant that by all means buff your pipe and make it shine if that is your way. But stop, please, please, stop before removing wood or wearing the button to a small blip. LOL.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Ford, I didn't mean to say you didn't use them and appreciate them. I just see so many times people can't enjoy their toys because they are afraid of scratching them or "it's too pretty to use". That just frost my butt. Can't count the times friend have bought an off road package jeep or truck and then refuse to take it hunting. AUGH!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I remember the first time I watched one of my virgin pipes get buffed in a professional studio with this machine. Holy cow how it shined. It was even better than when it was first smoked. And then the pipe maker told me, "enjoy the shine, it will be gone after your next two smokes." And truer words were never spoken, nor forgotten. The lesson: yes it is nice to have a shiny pipe, but each it is buffed at high speed you leave a piece of the soul of the pipe on the buffing wheel (literally and figuratively), and they dull down again quickly anyway. Best to just keep them clean and use a Dunhill pipe wipe after each smoke (while the stummel is warm) and keep them looking nice over the long run.
rSyXXFZ.jpg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Holy cow! I guess I'm just an old country boy fromGeorgia. I didn't know there were places that would buff, wax and shine your pipes for you. What a world we live in!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@trouttimes, Georgia on my mind brother. I live in Atlanta. Also, that buffer is from a pipe maker's studio I visited and he happened to buff one of my pipes while I was there. But, you can also do it yourself at home and many of the guys on this site have their own buffing wheels and do a great job. You can also send them off to pipe restoration guys who will clean them up for you. But buffing has the potential to also remove material layers from the stummel and stem over time as the OP mentions.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
A pipe is a tool meant to be enjoyed by the owner. You want to buff the crap out of it? Buff the crap out of it! You want to smoke it and never clean it? Go right ahead! You want to display it on a shelf and only look at it? Have at it! Once you pay the maker, the pipe is yours. Enjoy as you see fit!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Smokey has a point, once bought if the guy wants he can put it in his rectum and play it like a picallo. But we have to right to say that is weird. Just an opinion, tons on here. But I still say you buff a pipe like I said your doing it wrong. And they have the right to ignore me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A pipe is a tool meant to be enjoyed by the owner. You want to buff the crap out of it? Buff the crap out of it! You want to smoke it and never clean it? Go right ahead! You want to display it on a shelf and only look at it? Have at it! Once you pay the maker, the pipe is yours. Enjoy as you see fit!
Bingo!
I smoke 95% of the pipes that I own. But I have a few, like this unsmoked 1907 Barling set:
hzZwztQ.jpg

that's going to stay unsmoked, at least by me, and I enjoy having it. There are a lot of ways to enjoy this hobby.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hey Sable, as I have said before you have some amazing pipes and your damn right I would not smoke that set either. Bet you it would be difficult to find anyone who would. Those have history and beauty an amazing combination. To be honest when I wrote the post that type of pipe was not considered. I was talking about normal pipes of recent lineage. I did sorta cover amazing pipes like those with ". I will never own one of those because I do not think I could smoke it and that's what a pipe is for lol." I should add, for me
But I will bet all the money I have that Sable is not buffing the hell out those pipes. I am sure you can read every letter, the stem will have a perfect Barling symbol,and the buttons are not wore down to a nub on the bits!! Heck I can almost read everything in the Pic!!
And I agree if Sable wants to he can buff the heck out of them or use them for firewood, he owns them after all. But I assure you everyone even people who do not know pipes would, if they are an actual friend of Sable, be saying those a bad ideas, maybe you should think about this, etc, etc.
I will never argue that someone can do whatever they want with their property within the limits of the law. But I will stand up for others telling someone they are doing it wrong when they are doing it wrong by my morals and norms. Every human I have ever met seems to follow that standard. Some variation for weird POS third world countries, they can be interesting. But I digress.
The actual point I was going for is simple. If you over buff and are removing wood and stem to the point that you can no longer read anything, just smooth wood now, and the stem logo is gone and the bit is a bump, your doing it wrong.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't use or own a buffer. I certainly know how to use one as I did jewelry restoration for a living for 10 years. But many people are clueless about how to properly buff a pipe and those overly polished lumps that get seen are proof of that. In the wrong hands, a buffer is a WPD (Weapon of Pipe Destruction). Besides, what's so terrible about a pipe having a patina or a few dings from use? It's proof of age and survival. Hell's dangly bits, I've got more than a few dings myself!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ford, I'd smoke the shit out of those pipes. THAT'S how pipes built history. Who's hands have they been in. What places have they traveled to, stuff like that.
So in my hands, no pipe is safe.
But damn if those aren't gorgeous pipes.
Btw, buffers truly are weapons of destruction, but buffing without a stem attached to the shank is the biggest sin in my book, because the "shelf" created looks ugly and the eye gravitates to it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I developed a process several years ago that coated briar and vulcanite with multi-layered, nitrogen doped, dielectric aluminum. You had to wear a welder's mask to avoid eye damage when looking at your pipes under anything brighter than a 40 watt light bulb. It was a commercial failure, though... why? Too many smokers thought that STILL wasn't shiny enough.
True story.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I did say difficult to find someone to smoke them lol. I know people who would. 1907, 111 yrs old, heck steam was just replacing sail. That is 7 yes before WWI. Some poor bastard may have had those in his ruck in the trenches. Maybe a U boat crewmen, or a million other things. I respect Sable for the reason he bought them. Preservation of beauty and history is something I believe in. But if he says I am going to smoke one, I am 100% behind him on that also. Pipes are made to be smoked for me.
I keep going back to those pics, damn Sable those pipes, to me, are amazing! Blowing up the pic I can read much of the nomenclature for crying out loud lol!!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hey George!!
I had never heard of that one!!! I will have to PM you on that one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.