Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
forumpics127_zpsc0d38d58.jpg

forumpics128_zpsf30e8a42.jpg

before and after buffing . Will show before and after photos of restained bowls when im finished .

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
Nice job cajundad, looking forward to seeing that bowl.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice job, I love shiny metal. I got my start buffing stainless or aluminum motorcycle parts. Looking forward to seeing the other pictures.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Looks great! I did the same thing with my grandpa's old falcon. I shinned up the bowl also and had to cut down the mouthpiece because there was a hole in the end. I guess he was a clencher. They really are pretty good smokers.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Cajundad.
What did you use to polish it. I just did a restore on the bowl and bit of one. Cleaned the body with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Came in a box of pipes not sure if I will keep it or trade it but wold like to make it shine like yours first.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use automotive metal polishes myself. "Mothers" Mag & Aluminum polish is terrific. Meguiars and Eagle also make good metal products.
What kind of metal is used in a Falcon pipe? Some metal items on my Triumph motorcycles are made of "pot" metal. "Amal" carbs are made of this. You can polish them, but them lose their luster/shine very quickly.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also just restored a falcon. I do the same white diamond with a buffing wheel, but after a couple the wheel is useless. All that black tarnish ruins it, just fyi. Same thing with polishiing silver bands on pipes. Also a trick I learned is, if you are polishing a silver band on a pipe. Put some electrical tape or scotch tape around the wood part of the shank as the black junk will rub off while polishing the silver.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Heck , I washed the black off on gentle cycle warm wash , sun dried on a lil make shift clothes line . I thought the machine would tear it up but I put it in a small boil In a bag potato sack , and got lucky ! I just buffed a stem and it works fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.