PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I've always liked the Sioux story about how they received the most sacred of their religious objects. I have not always tried to smoke with enough contemplation and attention, but I've had a few of those indescribable moments with a pipe. I have either washed away a day's worth of stress, solved some vexing problem, or arrived at some kind of inner peace that I might not have been able to achive without my pipe. Meditative aid? I think so!
Here is the story, for those unfamiliar with it.
White Buffalo Calf Woman

(Ptecincala Ska Wakan)

The Gift of the Sacred Pipe
Before the appearance of the Buffalo Calf Woman, the Indian honored the Great Spirit. But for the Sioux, the coming of Buffalo Calf Woman brought a most important instrument, the pipe, which is now used in all ceremonies.
The sacred pipe came into being many, many years ago. Two men of the Sioux tribe were hunting when they saw something approaching in the distance. As the figure grew close, they observed a maiden, attired in white buckskin, carrying a bundle wrapped in buffalo hide.
As she walked slowly toward them she sang out and repeated;
Behold me.

Behold me,

For in a sacred manner

I am walking.
One of the men had evil thoughts about this maiden and moved towards her. the other Sioux tried forcibly to restrain him, but the evil warrior pushed the good warrior away. A cloud descended and engulfed the evil one, and when it lifted, his body was a skeleton being devoured by worms. This symbol-ized that one who lives in ignorance and has evil in their hearts may be destroyed by their own actions.
The good warrior knelt in fear, trembling as the buckskin-clad maiden approached. She spoke to him, telling him to fear not and to return to his people and prepare them for her coming. The warrior did so, and the maiden appeared, walking among them in a sunwise, (clockwise) direction. She held forth her bundle and said:
This is a sacred gift

And must always be treated in a holy way.

In this bundle is a sacred pipe

Which no impure man or woman should ever see.
With this sacred pipe

You will send your voices to Wakan Tanka.

The Great Spirit, Creator of all.

Your Father and Grandfather.
With this sacred pipe

You will walk upon the Earth

Which is your Grandmother and Mother.

All your steps should be holy.
The bowl of the pipe is red stone

Which represents the earth.

A buffalo calf is carved in the stone facing the center

And symbolizes the four-legged creatures

Who live as brothers among you.

The stem is wood and represents all growing things.

Twelve feathers hang from where the stem fits the bowl

And are from the Spotted Eagle.

These represent all the winged brothers

Who live among you.
All these things are joined to you

Who will smoke the pipe and send voices to Wakan Tanka.

When you use this pipe to pray,

You will pray for and with every thing.

The sacred pipe binds you to all your relatives;

Your Grandfather and Father,

Your Grandmother and Mother.
The red stone represents the Mother Earth

On which you will live.

The Earth is red

And the two-leggeds who live upon it are also red.

Wakan Tanka has given you a red road-

A good and straight road to travel,

And you must remember that all people

Who stand on this earth are sacred.
From this day,

The sacred pipe will stand on the red earth,

And you will send your voices to Wakan Tanka.
There are seven circles on the stone

Which represent the seven rites

In which you will use the pipe.
The Buffalo Calf Woman then instructed the people to send messengers to the different bands of the Sioux nation, to bring in the leaders, the medicine people, and the holy ones.
When the people gathered, she instructed them in the sacred ceremonies. She told them of the first rite, the Keeping of the Soul. She told them that the remaining six rites would be revealed to them through visions. As she prepared to leave she said:
Remember how sacred the pipe is

And treat it in a sacred manner,

For it will be with you always.

Remember also that in me are four ages.

I shall leave you now,

But shall look upon you in every age

And will return in the end.
The Sioux begged the woman to stay among them. They promised to build a fine lodge and let her select a warrior to provide for her, but she declined their offer.
No, the Creator above,

The Great Spirit,

Is happy with you

You the grandchildren.

You have listened well to my teachings.

Now I must return to the spirit world.
She walked some distance away from them and sat down. When she arose, she had become a white buffalo calf. She walked farther, bowed to the four quarters of the universe, then disappeared into the distance. Her sacred bundle was left with the people. To this day, A Sioux family, the "Keepers of the Sacred Bundle," still guards the bundle and its contents on one of the Sioux reservations.
Today, other ceremonies have supplanted some of the original seven ceremonies taught by the Buffalo Calf Woman. The Sun Dance, Sweat Lodge and Vision Quest are still major ceremonies that are widely practiced. The Pipe Ceremony itself is now used to open gatherings, meetings, and sweat lodges. The Pipe Ceremony is used in naming ceremonies, in which one is given an Earth or Indian name. It is also used in Indian marriage ceremonies.
In times of religious persecution, the visible ceremonies had to go underground. Sweat lodges, which were common around most lodges and tipis in the early reservation days, started to disappear when Christian missionaries began to entrench their power with governmental authorities. The pipe was much easier to hide. Sioux spirituality thus came to depend for its secret expression upon the pipe. Now that Native Americans have won back their religious freedom, the Pipe Ceremony remains established.
The Buffalo Calf Woman told the Sioux where to find the sacred red stone to make the peace pipe. In the pipestone quarries in southwestern Minnesota, near the town of Pipestone, the Sioux and all other Indian nations dug for their red stone in peace. They also traveled to and from the quarries in peace. No warfare was allowed. Peace councils were often held in this place.
Mother Earth is now in grave danger. Why not turn to ceremony, at least to get the feeling, the message that Mother Earth must live? She is speaking to us quite strongly already. Let Her speak also in ceremony. We can gain a special resolve by communicating within the ceremonies. By listening to nature through nature-based ceremonies, we can be like the Sioux. Deforestation, the thinning ozone layer, global warming, overpopulation and the pollution of our streams, rivers and oceans present great odds. But we can adapt. We can live, and our planet can survive.
The Seven Sacred Rites
Seven traditional rituals that use the sacred pipe in accordance with the Buffalo Calf Woman s teachings.
The Seven Sacred Rites
The Keeping of the Soul

Inipi: The Sweat Lodge Ceremony or Rite of Purification

Hanblecheyapi: Vision Quest

Wiwanyag Wachipi: The Sun Dance Ceremony

Hunkapi: Making Relatives

Ishnata Awicalowan: Preparing a Girl for Womanhood

Tapa Wanka Yap: Throwing the Ball

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting that interesting read. I think it's good to know the connection Native Americans have to the sacred herb with which they blessed us.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
The story can be found in Black Elk Speaks, the 7 sacred rites of the Oglala Sioux.

http://tiny.cc/bjrpmw

Black Elk was the last medicine man of the tribe, he dictated this story before his death so a record of the religious beliefs he was taught could be preserved.

I highly recommend the book, and the others of the same tradition. Geronimo and Blackhawk are the other two that come to mind, both of them shared their life stories with American writers and the books are still avaiable.

http://tiny.cc/zjrpmw

http://tiny.cc/qkrpmw

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Awesome, pipes are at their best around a campfire you just cooked steaks on. Enjoy!

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
It is absolutely a beautiful cool night in southeastern Arizona tonight. I would love a good long sweat & a good long pipe. Thanx for the story. I am in the heart of the chiricahua Apache, about 40 miles from Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon mountains, in Cochise County. Agreat night for smoking outside, listening to the coyotes (hopefully the animal, and not the human illegal transporters... there is both).

joshwolftree

you forgot the home brew mead Gary but yeah a good campfire a coupla steaks and some other brothers of the briar...I have yet to see them since finding this site but they'll probably wind up joining to (once I tell em about it)

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Actually a lot of native people are of the Sioux Nation. Lakota, Dakota, Nakota are all part of the Sioux Nation as well as many others. I have Siksiká or Blackfoot ancestry in my bloodline, which is not Sioux.
I have a really nice piece of pipestone but cannot seem to get myself to carve it. I just don't want to ruin it. It is rough cut into a walking bear.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Black_Elk.jpg

Read all about black Elk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Elk

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Here is a very good read. I have it and learned a lot from it. Written in the mid 1800's but Doctor Walker that did the research was very open minded.
http://www.amazon.com/Lakota-Belief-Ritual-James-Walker/dp/0803297319/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1351266605&sr=8-6&keywords=book+on+oglala+sioux

Status
Not open for further replies.