PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Hey All,
Well, here in the UK, it's Budget Day. The day the government announce the changes to tax and spending plans for the next year. Once again smokers have been hit hard. As of 18:00 tonight, the tax on all tobacco products will rise by 5% above inflation. That's 37p extra on a pack of 20 cigarettes (just under $0.60 extra) and, of course, an even bigger rise on a 50g tin of pipe tobacco.
Wish I had the finds to stock up before the price rise!
Regards

Withnail

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Take out a loan next time lol
Sorry to hear about that.
You should consider moving to the states!
Preferably one with low state tax. I here Pennsylvania is nice. :puffy:

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Nice to hear from you withnail, luckily I put a big order in for tobacco before todays budget, at least there is still less tax on pipe tobacco than on cigarette tobacco here in the UK.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Over on this side of the big water the folks up in congress are arguing over our next federal budget.Each state also has a budget.Either one or both can raise tobacco taxes.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Someone needs to take the check book away from the president king queen congress parliament what have you and just give them a allowence and make them make it work and run a country within its means!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've had a little bit of luck. The online store I use aren't going to put up their prices util they have sold all their old stock. I was a bit annoyed that my cheque/check hadn't cleared to allow me to place an order before the budget, but now it has and I have a couple of months supply heading to me in the post at the old price :D
Cheer

Withnail
PS - Thanks tobakenist. It's been a while since I've had the chance to spend much time on forums!

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
How much is pipe tobacco over there? In Australia we only have 4 choices (Erinmore, Captain Black, Amphora and Petersons in some shops) and they all cost $40-$50 for a 50g tin. Crazy stuff.

I order online and hope each time it does not get picked up by customs (duty is $450 a kg) and so far have been lucky. Good thing this is only an occasional hobby for me or I would be broke lol.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Auspipe - WOW that IS expensive! Makes our prices look very cheap in comparison. Here in the UK we are spoilt for choice, the online store I use has well over 50 or 60 blends spread out over these producers; Samuel Gawith, Germain's, Rattrays, Robert Lewis, Dunhill, Holger Danske, Petersons, Ashton, Erinmore, Davidoff, Mac Baren, McLintock, W. O. Larsen, Orlik, Robert McConnel, Gawith Hoggarth, Pete Stokkebye, Thomas Radford, plus some American blends and over the counter blends.
Most 50g tins sell for around £11, some a little more, some a little less, which is AU$ 16.77 (US $17.37) plus a flat rate of around £5 or AU$ 7.62 (US $7.90) shipping from the site I use. But credit card companies wont process a payment from USA for tobacco products bought online from the UK.
Hope you find a cheaper source soon!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Morlader
But I see he lowered the top rate tax so if you are a millionair you will be better off.
I wish! :D It was very strange that they lowered the top rate of tax, but removed the tax break given to people who have retired. But that's politics so let's forget about it and enjoy a nice bowl instead :)

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
And the best bit isn't taxed Withnail,the enjoyment :lol: WOW it's tough in Oz and to think that's where I bought my first pipe back in the '50s :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.