PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
When I went on my recent Ebay rampage I bought this little bulldog for $14 just because it looks so stinking cool. I can't find any info on it. Here's the description.
"This is a NOS Unsmoked Bruxo DePose Bulldog with Inner Tube French Aged Imported Briar Pipe 30’s Period Gutta Percha Stem button lip made in the 1930’s or earlier. The original stem still has the Inner Tube in the pipe."
img_0786-600x455.jpg

img_0788-600x450.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can add that there's a second accent on the word "deposee"; déposée! (sheepish grin)
Somewhat more useful: gutta percha was used to cover golf balls some time ago. It is now used in dental work.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It was also used to make "mourning" jewellery, because it was dark in colour and could be easily moulded into beads or other shapes. Pistol hand grips and rifle shoulder pads were also made from gutta-percha, since it was hard and durable, though it fell into disuse when plastics such as Bakelite became available. Gutta-percha found use in canes and walking sticks, as well.
As per John's comment, the "guttie" golf ball (which had a solid gutta-percha core) revolutionized the game.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From Wikipedia:
It was also used to make "mourning" jewelry, because it was dark in color and could be easily molded into beads or other shapes. Pistol hand grips and rifle shoulder pads were also made from gutta-percha, since it was hard and durable, though it fell into disuse when plastics such as Bakelite became available. Gutta-percha found use in canes and walking sticks, as well.[7]
Sound familiar? The article goes on to say:

The material was adopted for other applications. The "guttie" golf ball (which had a solid gutta-percha core) revolutionized the game. Gutta-percha remained an industrial staple well into the 20th Century, when it was gradually replaced with superior (generally synthetic) materials, though a similar and cheaper natural material called balatá is often used in gutta-percha's place. The two materials are almost identical, and balatá is often called gutta-balatá.
I believe the gutties were solid all the way through. Balata golf balls were easy to cut, but I never played with a guttie.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Let's see; French made and red dot on stem. Is it possible that this pipe is part of the Dr. Plumb family? Dr. Plumb were sold in Canada.

At any rate, that is one very cool pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Balata golf balls were easy to cut, but I never played with a guttie.
I was trying for the life of me to remember what kind of golf ball my dad used to use from time to time -- I knew it was some kind of soft rubber, but couldn't remember the name. That's the one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Balata was at one time used by most manufacturers for their premium golf balls. Easy to cut, not for hackers. There was Acushnet, later became Titleist; Top Flite (Spalding); Slazenger; Wilson and others. Sometimes the word balata appeared on the ball, others just on the sleeve. When I used them I was neither hacker nor excellent. I cut up a ton of them.

todd13

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
Prince George, BC
Have you uncovered any further info on this pipe maker that you can share? I recently came across one of these same pipes. Mine is rather worn and until finding your post have been unable to determine the name or make. My pipe has just enough of the xo and deposee remaining that your photo help me finally establish the markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.