PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
We really are a brotherhood. Andrew Rosenthal sent me a tip about a special Peterson Halloween billiard on eBay (he said my name was all over it, and he was right)-which I rarely look at for pipes--and I won the bid for much less than I bid for it. I got it in the mail today. It is beautiful, and while advertised as smoked, I sure can't tell the difference. It's far more attractive and well stained than the photo, and it smokes great. It's become one of my instant favorites. But it also demonstrates how we look out for each other: I would never have known of this pipe if it weren't for Andrew. I've said it before: what a great bunch of guys you all are.

_11.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Funny thing is, I don't usually like saddles, but after this pipe, I realized that it is the aesthetic totality of a pipe that makes is desirable, not the different elements. The nickel band, BTW, is decorated with Peterson's logo, a witch on a broomstick below, and the word "Halloween" below that, done in clear nomenclature. What a pipe!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love silver/nickel on a pipe as well, and that pipe is a beauty. Looks like a good clencher, too. I hope you have many enjoyable smokes with it.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm glad you like it Fred. It truly was meant for you. And you're very right. This is a brotherhood. In my time as a member here I've seen so many acts of kindness it's almost overwhelming. And a few times (don't tell anybody) I was actually moved to tears (scratch... burp... FOOTBALL! Someone get me a beer!). I'm rarely able to spend much money on others, but at least I can point someone in the direction of something I think they might enjoy... and you know what? Just knowing you got that pipe makes me feel like a millionaire :) Enjoy the heck out of it.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
May I be apart of the brotherhood if I'm a woman? The sisterhood is very small in our pipe smoking world... though it is growing. Beautiful pipe you have there!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Absolutely! We use "brotherhood" as a collective noun for all (in the same sense as "mankind" refers to both genders) and I truly, genuinely hope we hear more from the ladies, just to remind us you're here too! BTW, whenever I think of lady pipe smokers, I always think of that great author, Ursula K. LeGuin, the creator of the Earthsea novels, a great scholar and writer. And who smokes a pipe.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Oh, gee. I hope I didn't sound, what is the word... natty? when I asked if I was a part of the brotherhood even though I am a woman. I, for one, have no issues with the word brotherhood. I know what it means, and again, I love being a part of it!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nice looking pipe.
The sisterhood is very small in our pipe smoking world.
There used to be a Yahoo Group called "Ladies of the Briar", that spun off from the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 group. Dunno if it is still active or not.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
sparks, I enjoy your smart assery.
Jud, I will look into that! It has a nice ring to it.
sparrowhawk, how is that pipe treating ya?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Funny thing is, I don't usually like saddles, but after this pipe, I realized that it is the aesthetic totality of a pipe that makes is desirable, not the different elements.
One very good reason we must keep an open mind on our taste in pipes!
Simply spectacular. Congratulations!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great looking pipe Fred - I hope it gives you many hours of happy piping. The band is a triumph and really makes the pipe sing. It sounds like a number of us are partial to metalwork on our pipes. I will consider/buy pipes I usually wouldn't look at twice if there's a beautiful silver or nickel band on there. Ian Walker at Northern Briars made the pipe below for me (it's used in the banner for GQ Tobaccos) - it didn't originally have the silver Celtic band, but I suggested it and the band made all the difference for me. The band has sentimental value for me, but it also adds to the overall allure of the pipe.
M1vaVrQ.png

Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great pipe! How do you win the bid for much less than you bid for it? I thought once you bid, you were committed to that price. Not?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Exactly. I wanted this pipe so bad that I bid $200, but the highest bidder next to me didn't even try to bid again, thus I got the pipe for about $65. I really lucked out. And smokey, the pipe is a superb smoker, as good or better than any other pipe in my admittedly mossiest collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.