PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'm sad to report that noted Twin Cities Attorney, Sportsman, Pipe Collector and Friend Tony Soderman passed away.

He was an amazing man. RIP
Happier times with Tony with our club at my house in 2012 and 13

52729810.jpg

dscn0610.jpg

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Sorry to hear about this, Dave. Will raise a pipe in his honor today.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Sad news Dave. I had only corresponded with Tony with questions by email, but he was always very helpful, with long, detailed, and informative answers.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Words cannot express! Oh My!
I will never forget the conversations and good times we shared. Such a loss! You will be sorely missed my friend! Rest in Peace brother!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'll fire up my Don Carlos canadian in his honor this afternoon.
That would be a fitting pipe as Tony was an early supporter of DC and Moretti back when Tarek Mandilly of The Italian Pipe was introducing these names to the US market. He had many spectacular super long shank pipes from them in his collection.
I will never forget the conversations and good times we shared. Such a loss!
Adam, Tony told me several times that he really was impressed in what you did in starting a new pipe club from scratch. He was all about pipe clubs, pipe shows and getting together.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is awful news. I had always hoped to meet him someday. He always took the time to respond to my emails about a pipe I had (not one he was selling!) and gave me some insightful comments. Stellars like that in our hobby don't come around too often. A raised pipe to Tony.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Tony was one of those "force of Nature" guys. His passion for the pipe hobby was the real deal. He will be missed.
I don't have any Canadians, so a Liverpool will have to do. My next bowl will be raised in silence as a smoky toast to Mr. Can.
RIP

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's tough to say what I liked best about Tony: his phenomenal knowledge about the history of our hobby; his consistent generosity in sharing what he knew; or the tenacious way he would argue every point he felt was wrong. I sometimes felt a bit battered by our encounters, but always emerged wiser than when I began. I can just imagine what Tony would have been like to face in a courtroom. I suspect more than one opposing counsel winced in anticipation of the confrontation to come, and more than one judge privately relished the show.
Our time together in Chicago, and our email exchanges, are among the very highest highlights of my time in the pipe community. Their absence will leave a gap in my life. Between his appearances in Chicago, and the extensive correspondence related to his burgeoning eBay business (he would usually tell me he had over 1000 accumulated emails to address after returning from St Charles), Tony touched many, many lives. Tony will be sorely missed; by collectors, by historians, and by good friends made throughout the hobby in a long and illustrious career.
My thoughts and prayers are with his extended family and friends.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
jguss said: I sometimes felt a bit battered by our encounters, but always emerged wiser than when I began. I can just imagine what Tony would have been like to face in a courtroom. I suspect more than one opposing counsel winced in anticipation of the confrontation to come, and more than one judge privately relished the show.
I can echo those sentiments exactly as you stated them John. What a loss to the pipe community. His knowledge, dedication, and presence will be sorely missed.

Andy C.

Status
Not open for further replies.