PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I learned this evening that Italian pipe maker Paolo Becker has died. I received the sad news from a good friend of Paolo's who lives in New York. It is ironic because I just sold a Paolo Becker and a Fritz Becker pair of pipes today on eBay. Fritz, of course, was the founder of the brand and carved until his death in the early 1990s. And with the passing today of his son Paolo, that wonderful pipe brand will be no more.
Pipestud

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
This is truly sad. I saw those two you had listed. I wish I could've gotten them now hearing this. They both made great pipes. Losing Paolo is a great lost for our community. I can only imagine how their family feels. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Shocked, I'm just shocked by that news. He is one of my favorite carvers. I was under the impression that his son was training under him.
Richard

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Richard,
Yes sir, he does have a son that was training under him and also working with him on the finish out of the pipes me made. I have absolutely no idea whether his son is at the point where he could continue the brand or whether his skill level is where his dad and granddad's were.
Pipestud

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Devastating news. While I never met the man, the pipe world is certainly worse off for his passing. A unique and talented carver, RIP.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
This is sad news. RIP

I've been acquainted with Paolo for years. One evening that stands out was spent in a smoke filled room with him and a group of collectors passing round (puff puff pass) his new strawberry wood pipe for our impressions. IMO his work with blasting bog oak is unequaled and his spaghettio shank was an original. 8O

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
While his passing is sad, it is pretty cool that 100 years from now someone will enjoy a briar that still bears his name...
Apparently he and his father were living legends. Let's hope his son can carry on the tradition.
Condolences to the Becker family.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Very sorry to hear this. Along with being a well known pipe maker, I believe the family was involved in charitable causes.
A great loss to the pipe community.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Broken Pipe - Paolo Becker

Broken Pipe: Paolo Becker
Definitely worthy of two threads,
Condolences to the familly and all those who knew and loved him.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A huge lost to the piping community. A friend of mine has traveled several time to Rome to visit Paolo and family. He will be devastated. Deepest sympathy to Paolo's family & friends.

May 31, 2012
Sad to hear.
One of the best pipemakers in the world.
Love his stuff.
I think Trailboss got it right:

While his passing is sad, it is pretty cool that 100 years from now someone will enjoy a briar that still bears his name...beats the heck out of a tombstone.
Indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.