PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Hey guys, I was digging through some boxes looking for envelopes and I came across another old pipe my Uncle had given me as a kid. This one was broken though, and I got the idea to fix and it and give it a try. I'm assuming its a cheap pipe, it says dr. charles. Part of the wood is chipped off where the stem slides in, as you can see in the picture. I was wondering if its possible to fix, super glue? If glueing will work, what is a decent glue that isn't going to heat up and give me fumes to suck up?
Photoon2013-01-24at20044_zps03ed66d1.jpg

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Crap, this thread should be in the maintenance and repair section, I apologize.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Whew, "broken pipe" is usually reserved for someone who passed away!
You would be surprised on what kind of repairs can be made. Glue and a repair band would probably work on that one, since you also have the broken piece.
An alernative to a band, like Mike posts is to wrap it with thread and glue, like a rod guide on a fishing rod. (wind the thread over the glued repair, then seal with some kind of clear expoxy, heck even nail polish might work)

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I had the same problem and just cut it down to a nosewarmer. Check the thread Another Broken Heart. It took me 30 minutes to make the repair.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, that is indeed a very bad break. Some very good suggestions so far! I think, however, if it were mine and it was a lower range pipe, I would super glue the piece back in(carefully and sparingly) and band it or thread wrap.
Now here is another thought and bear with me a bit. I grew up in the woods and even though I am now civilized, there are many cool things one learns when stores were not handy. My Great Uncle fixed a pipe with a similiar break when I was a Teen. He showed me that he glued the piece back in, then took a strip of rawhide that he had soaking in water and sewed it on the shank tightly. As it dried, it shrunk to a solid and tight fit. Just thought I'd share that in case someone, sometime, wanted to experiment with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.