Broke out the First Pipe Rack

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from nevadablue
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've realized that many of my pipes are beginning to get used a little less than I would prefer, some of them strong favorites of mine. So I decided I needed a better system for rotating my pipes. I decided I'd choose a few to keep at my table and switch out on a weekly basis. I'm currently looking for a small tabletop rack that will hold anywhere from four to seven pipes, for a good price. But until then I decided to bring this one out of retirement again. This was my first pipe rack, made from a pipe box from Pipesandcigars I think. It's not pretty, but it's done the job before, and it's doing the job again. This should help me revisit all of my pipes a little more often. After the weeks over I'll simply return them to the other racks and replace with others. So far it was a good idea. I'm currently smoking that big Nording Signature in the photo for the first time in a long time, and I do love that pipe.

">

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good idea Anthony. I want to get all of my pipes out where I can see and enjoy them. Working on designs now...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good idea Anthony. I want to get all of my pipes out where I can see and enjoy them.
    That's exactly the thing, Ken. I can actually see all of my pipes from where I'm sitting. But I have a tendency to overlook many of them, even though they're great smokers. I think keeping a handful of them at the table where I do most of my smoking should help remedy that. I bought them to smoke them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

nevada I liked the egg cartons

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This compells me to reveal a deed, abyssal secret: my pipes are currently resided in a pair of coffee mugs--the display table having been moved temporarily. So I just pick a pipe as needed, how my mood is at the moment, although a little sparse right now; ten of my pipes have gone to Jeff Walls for some refurbishing work. But Anthony, are we going to have to get you a real rack?

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But Anthony, are we going to have to get you a real rack?
    I have a couple. They're just filled up. The box is temporary until I find a a small rack I would like to keep at the table where my weekly rotation is going to be from now on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe racks around here always impress

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

All of mine reside on padded bath mats on shelves in my tobacco closet, save for three ocassionally being displayed on a Neal Yarm Naturals magnetic stand. I may have to implement the box stand idea.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do those magnetic stands hold the pipes? Wood doesn't stick to magnets. Always been puzzled by those.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. I may have to implement the box stand idea.
    Even trade for your Neal Yarm?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Well, considering that I did get it new for less than $50 new......

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was fortunate: a member of our now-defunct pipe club custom made mine. Really nice! And another member gave me one that looks like it was hewn out of rough timber. Can't wait to see what my 106 Xmas Pipe and my Nording Bulldog looks like on them next week.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to see that rough timber rack, Sparrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha. That’s some clever engineering.

Sable has been saying this for years and I think I’ll finally heed his advice. As much as I like the eye candy on the pipe racks, I think I’m going to retire the pipe cabinet. I haven’t had any problems with the stems oxidizing from light but my pipes are getting that smokers sticky film on all of them. The smoke lounge (mancave) gets rather fogged out and smoky. The appearance between the pipes I keep in drawers and boxes compared to ones stored on the rack is huge. The drawered pipes still have a glossy shine. Smooth and slick. The racked pipes are dull and sticky.

I’ve been looking for a map chest to store pipes. Time for a smoke lounge renovation.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Dave: I am having the same problem with most of my pipes too! What's the best way to clean them for a man with 10 thumbs??

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^

A damp rag followed by a dry micro fiber towel should take care of it. That will be a full time job for the amount of pipes you have.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave, a map case would be great. I have a huge metal one, but an old oak one would be the berries. Or, the sample cases in the old Geology department where I went to school. A bit deeper than map case drawers. Sigh... And, you should get an electrostatic precipitator thing. I got two of them off ebay. They grab any particles in the air and deposit them on a washable rack or screen. I have yet to implement mine, still smoking outside.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude