PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
andystewart is a honorary member of the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club. He has graciously gifted the club with some very special items: Warrior Plug, Revor Plug and SG Full Virginia Flake that was tinned specially for the London Pipe Club.

Thanks, Andy, we'll be sure to enjoy them at the next meeting in 2 weeks.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I read the FVF was a small batch they had found that had a couple years of age on it. Not a large enough batch to ship to retailers though, so they ended up tinning for the pipe club.
Let us know how that Revor Plug is. That is one I have been wanting to try out.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hi guys. The following is from the Pipe Club of London website. I hope you enjoy the tobacco!
Andy
A NOTE FROM BOB GREGORY of Samuel Gawith

& Co. Ltd. in regards to this very special tobacco:
Two years ago, May 2012, the thought occurred as to what would happen to Full Virginia Flake if it was “laid down” for a time.
Five cakes were shrink-wrapped and forgotten about until June of this year. Rather than offer the tobacco to a large distributor, because there wasn’t enough, it was offered to the PCoL, the home of discerning pipe-smokers and with whom we at Samuel Gawith have such a good relationship and owe so much. The result is a quantity of 50g tins of “Aged Full Virginia Flake”.
The question has been asked “well what is the difference between regular Full Virginia and Aged Full Virginia?”
When FV is made in its regular format the result is a medium strength Virginia smoke with all that a Virginia should be, good aroma, a sweetness and a mellowness that you would expect from a 100% Virginia. Full Virginia when “put down” for two years, undergoes a change. If the conditions are right then the tobacco will enter a further period of fermentation. The colour changes as the Virginias mellow and the sugars come out even more. If you see a grey streak in the flake, do not be alarmed for it is not mould, it is sugar. The taste changes, the flavour improves and the tin aroma is one of a rich dark pudding with “meadow” notes.. Room-aroma is just sublime. In other words the tobacco has slowly changed its personality.
“Aged “ is available in a 50g tin only and once it's gone it's gone.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Andy's top-shelf people. A while back he sent me a VERY nice sample of SG Cannon Plug; as a result I credit him for opening my eyes to Lakelands as something I want to explore further. :)

Dec 24, 2012
I tried the warrior plug some time back courtesy of Pruss and thought it was quite good. I do wish it was sold on this side of the pond. Enjoy your tobacco.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
You can get it here Peck, either from Glynn Quelch at GQ or from Mr. Snuff. Cheap it ain't but it can be had.

K

klause

That Revor is heaven in a wrapper. The aroma when you open that is going to be utterly sublime.
One thing you might want to consider if you're taking it to a pipe club meeting - it's a fairly moist plug ( quite loosely pressed, more like a Krumble cake, but with whole leaf rather then chopped) and needs a good bit of drying if you're not going to spend the evening, and a lot of bad language, relighting it every 2-3 puffs - it can be a bit of a bugger to keep lit.
However, it is worth it. It is utterly gorgeous.
The Warrior is an all time classic.
Enjoy those smokes, they're wonderful.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
@grouchydog - thank you. I'd forgotten about that!
@klause - thank you for the heads up. I been thinking about getting going on those two but - as usual with me - hadn't thought about lead-time. Now know what I'll be doing tonight!
Andy

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Plugs always seem to be too much Vitmain-N for me, but these have my interest piqued.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.