PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
On another thread the discussion has centred on the five most common OTC blends you can get in the UK.
These days none of it can be advertised on TV but it wasn't all that long ago that it could. I remember the adverts well.
So, for fun, I looked up in YouTube my favourite ads for the top 5. And remember, all of these were on TV.
Enjoy!
St Bruno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nt1RNpGgPY
Condor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yAcmDQdcHA
Gold Block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJqT7n9p-nc
Clan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2zUMrUOz0
Mellow Virginia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg2QvwF3i9A

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What a strange world we live in, where the government picks and chooses which legal products succeed in free commerce and which fail by suppressing the fact that you might actually like and enjoy using them; I don't think cigarettes have been advertised on TV in the USA since the early sixties.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Those ads are great. Thanks for sharing. May they live on forever via the internets.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for posting those ads guys! For some reason the British ads seem to have a great sense of dry humor in them. I can't remember any ads for pipe tobacco here in the states, but remember plenty of cigarette ads. Most were rather stupid, i.e. "Show us your Lark!", and "I'd walk a mile for a Camel". Geez, where's Don Draper when you need him?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." At the time, there were some folks who understood grammar, and helped them out by making a big deal out of changing "like" to "as".
And there was a lot of fun with "LSMFT", making up alternate words. (Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobaccos)
Love the old ads!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yes, quite interesting - I even remember times when one could smoke in an airplane, cigarette adds on tv and magazines ... the world has changed, hasn't it? toobfreak your avatar gets better by the day !!! :lol: :puffpipe:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I even remember times when one could smoke in an airplane, cigarette adds on tv and magazines
That was because smokers were recognized at one time as PEOPLE and people had rights. Many people smoked for pleasure, the world turned on its axis, and the sun rose in the east. There is no reason why they cannot have a smoking section in airplanes, restaurants, etc., but these long-suppressed groups have spent years infiltrating schools and media teaching kids that tobacco is an evil. So we have gone from one extreme to the other, from smoking everywhere to smoking nowhere. What gives these anti-smoking groups teeth is that politicians and businesses so easily cave to them at every turn, instead of just telling them to suck it up and get along in some happy middle-ground.
There can't be a happy middle ground in anything anymore.
Smoker's have rights in a free republic, but our world is now full of balless cowards terrified of being seen as pro-tobacco anything, so the entire world now genuflects to the absurd in one great lie.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Isn't that a bit dramatic? It is 2017. Smoking is not socially acceptable.
Would you really like to go back to 1963 in terms of who had rights just so you could smoke on a 3 hour flight? I thought this was a thread on advertisements and nostalgia.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Isn't that a bit dramatic?
What is dramatic about stating a fact? I said nothing about 1963. The question isn't that smoking is less socially acceptable, but WHY. It has nothing to do with 2017 and everything to do with special interests and lobbying, the EXACT same reason why all those lovely advertisements of yesteryear discussed above ARE nostalgia!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It is not a fact that every nonsmoker is a "balless coward."
This is an example of why smokers are treated with such disdain because some smokers can't imagine that other people might not want to smell their cigarette in an enclosed space.
However, I also think it is not fair that nonsmokers get every public space. I guess I could move to Missouri.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not just for the pipe messages, but also for the production values, these ads are so carefully focussed. You don't end up wondering what is being advertised the way you do with so many ads now. Quick cuts, children murmuring unintelligibly, names of products without identifying what they are, and so on. Possibly these ad copywriters were sober and had had a night's sleep. I guess they're all retired now.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
It is not a fact that every nonsmoker is a "balless coward."
Sallow, man, where the hell did you ever learn NOT to read what people say, instead just what you THINK they said putting your own words into their mouth? If you cannot actually read what people say and get it right, best not to reply to them at all!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So the "entire world" doesn't include all nonsmokers? I'm not putting words in your mouth I'm quoting you verbatim.
And stop shouting at me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.