PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here's a nice way to augment a tasty bowl of tobacco, watch some major tournament golf!
https://www.theopen.com/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good Lord! The first photo on the site is of the has-been, T Woods. Don't like him one bit. Arrogant little prick.
Anyway, The Open is great. It's broadcast in 4K as well as HD, lots of different perspectives. Carnasty is exhibiting weather not often seen there.
We're rooting for Mick (Tommy) Fleetwood. In part because of a golf pool.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just tuning in now- actually a recording, to find my least favorite player, the above named, sharing the lead with two of my favorites, Speith and Fleetwood.
What weather!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a fan nor do i intensely dislike aforementioned golf celebrity, but I would note that when people are fielded too early under the tutelage of a parent in any of many career paths -- athletics, showbiz, classical music, or whatever -- trouble often ensues. The examples are too many to mention. Part of what people develop finding their own way in life is self-control and centering, and if the parent has all the control and ambition, those character traits never get built in.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never having met the man liking or disliking isn't an option for me. I will say he's still a top of the line golfer and I think he's good for at least one more major. Jack won the Masters in his forties and Tiger plays that course better than anyone. Sam Snead won a PGA in his sixties. As for his braggadocio, he certainly delivered so far.
Eveyone knows how I detest unsupported generalities so ... here's my side of pushy/encouraging parents.
I suspect for every failed parent mentored sportsman one could name fifty who succeeded. Just about any hockey player, gymnast, football (American) was mentored early by a parent who drove them to practices at 4am, worked on basics after school every day and pushed them forward. Mannings, Gretzky, Palmer, Nicklaus. etc. readily jump to mind. Tiger's father gave him a warrior mindset, he'll persevere through the rough patches.
Hollywood? Again for every child star who failed you can name, I can easily name more who achieved a normal adulthood. Ron Howard, Ken Osmond (disability retired, trice wounded LAPD officer), Jackie Cooper, Annette Funicello, etc. all were/are contributing adults. I named them as they are from my youth. Just a quick google raised the names of many now selling real estate, running local theater groups, teaching, driving cabs, and myriad of other occupations.
It's the failures we know of because they sell newspapers. Very few success stories merit a precious inch of ink or 30 seconds on air.. Locate a list and see who's selling real estate, writing books, driving cab, all without pulling a "Bonaduce."

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been infatuated with the game since I was a kid who hitchhiked 20 miles to go to the Manchester CC from Milford in NH one summer, just to sit and wait under a picnic roof pavilion for some 'rich' guy to come and pick one of us to carry his clubs.
I've been a golf FAN since then in one way or another but for some reason the tv broadcasts are still something that soothe.
As for arrogant pricks in the game, who flashed brilliance as athletes rather than as role model human beings, how does Johnny Miller strike you?

Entitlement is achieved through heredity and or accomplishment, and is really only deserved if earned.

Some of those born into entitlement comport themselves with grace, while others are just 'little pricks'.

Those who earn their entitlement are probably more 'relatable' to most of us.
Some people have made entire careers simply by being arrogant little pricks. Joe Pesci? Trey Gowdy? Moe Howard?

In other sports, we have arrogance represented as well. Ted Williams came off as arrogant many a time.

Larry Bird was arrogant too, but that was a psychological function of his game.
I think we all know real arrogance when we see it. The kind that is unsupported by any reality other than the arrogance itself, like, um....I know I'll think of an example if I work at it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I suspect for every failed parent mentored sportsman one could name fifty who succeeded. Just about any hockey player, gymnast, football (American) was mentored early by a parent who drove them to practices at 4am, worked on basics after school every day and pushed them forward. Mannings, Gretzky, Palmer, Nicklaus. etc. readily jump to mind.
But that's a very small set of athletes: Pros in any of our major sports, where the chances of a young player making it there are a few in a hundred thousand. Parents who push their kids in sports for their own agendas are not helping the kid develop a personality that's palatable. Sometimes the results are disastrous, sometimes the person will overcome all that and succeed at the highest level in achievement in sport and life.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'd liken watching golf on the idiot box as being as exciting as watching paint dry.
Snooker on the other hand is a sport made for TV......just so long as that gormless idiot John Virgo isn't commentating :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay-
Being the language maven you are, what do you think of language extras, such as, instead of "commenting" we have "commentating"? Seems it's an affect in both our countries.

No longer "comptence" but "competency". Etc. Etc. In the same league as saying "more cold" instead of the proper "colder"....etc. Etc.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
newbroom nailed it. There are different personalities in all walks of life, athletes, business people, it runs the gamut. I like a bit of arrogance in leaders if, they can deliver. As far as role models? My father subtly chose my role models and they all lived in my town. Now "idolatry?" That's a waste of everyone's time, even the idol's.
For good and bad, languages morph.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John, 'commentating' is perfectly acceptable English, I give you....
Commentate
verb BRITISH
gerund or present participle: commentating
.....It certainly doesn't compare to your recent mention of something complete being "in tact"!
People in glasshouses etc...... :puffy:
BTW it has often struck me as odd that Americans will often write 'insure' where actually 'ensure' would be the correct word, such as "I keep my matches in a dry place so as to insure they don't get damp".
I've even seen this application of the word in allegedly professionally written articles! Time to consult my Webster's 3rd edition to see what is up :puffpipe:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay, you eviscerated dung beetle, pull your head out! I wasn't questioning your grammar, but rather the unfortunate morphing of language trying to get it fancier. Hence the very beginning of "commentate". Just because it's in a dictionary doesn't mean it's well thought out.
.It certainly doesn't compare to your recent mention of something complete being "in tact"!
Wat tha 'ell? Might you kindly point me to this alleged error.
I can assure you that insure and ensure are mixed up on both sides of the atlantic.
Over here, "decimated" instead of meaning one in ten wiped out, usually means a pretty complete disaster; "most" or "all".

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My neighbour works for Golf Canada and is in Scotland for 'work'. I asked him rather slyly if Scotland was in fact where scotch comes from, replying in the positive, he implied he might sample some while over there.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
"Decimated" is mostly used these days as hyperbole by "newsies."
The morphing of language is either fortunate or unfortunate subject to ... personality? position? age? Younger generations always impact the various languages. I know an English professor who embraces such change. "Enriching the language," he says. Others decry the changing usage and spellings. "Hip" and "gay" immediately to mind. The former is pretty much relegated to the graveyard of words. "Gay" of course has an entirely different meaning to my generation, 70's.
Remember England and the US are two countries separated by an ocean and a language. Ask to borrow a "rubber" in England and you are handed an erasure. Ask to borrow the same in the US and you'll get a look of incomprehension. If you are told, in England, that your room is located on the first floor ... take the lift (Elevator to you folks in Loma Linda), to the second floor. there you will find your room.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, you eviscerated dung beetle, pull your head out!"
Sincere apologies John, I misread your post whilst hurriedly reading in bed and being sans spectacles. No excuse I know, just an explanation but I shall be wearing my hair shirt for a week.....howzat?
"Wat tha 'ell? Might you kindly point me to this alleged error."
No alleged about it, in fact I would have mentioned it when I saw it only whatever thread it was on had taken many turns by the time I saw it but be assured....

it WAS there!
Now to the wardrobe for that hair shirt.......
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Wat tha 'ell? Might you kindly point me to this alleged error."
No alleged about it, in fact I would have mentioned it when I saw it only whatever thread it was on had taken many turns by the time I saw it but be assured....

it WAS there!
Harumph. No cite, no tickeee.
And yes on the hair shirt, but only for three days. However as the real punishment, you must bathe every day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The runner up made a lot of the news. The winner and next two must be irked, while they cash their checks. You win the British Open and ... oh well.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Jay & jpm,
The word abuse that irks me is the use of a noun such as 'party' to a gerund verb form, as in 'partying'. This has become so commonplace during the last 25 years, so that it seems to be accepted by many as grammatically correct.
@jpm, regarding golf: for your golf attire I imagine you wearing knickers like these:
500BW-2.jpg

Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.