PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Just bought this Britannia Executive briar on Ebay (through Bard's Vintage Briars) for $68 plus shipping. Smokes beautifully, nice open draw; don't think the pic shows it, but the lucite stem has briar-coloured streaks through it.
5ml7w0.jpg

I believe that Britannias are Comoy's seconds, but you'd never think this is a second by looking at it. So you CAN still get quality pipes for under $100.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Britannia smooth Dublin 1/4 bent that also smokes great. It says on the shank it was made in England.

I was under the impression that this was one of the pipe makers owned by Dunhill. My own intuition is that none

of the pipe makers owned by Dunhill are actually seconds. Britannia, Parker, and Hardcastle don't seem to have

Dunhill shapes. Conceivably they could be seconds in the sense that they use raw briar not considered suitable

for Dunhills. I think, instead, these are just subsidiaries that operate as their own divisions and use their own

materials. I am much impressed by the style and light weight of my Britannia. It doesn't have quite the style of

this pipe, but it is elegant in its own way. As I recall, it cost me about $65 new, at Tinder Box, about three years

ago. I consider it a real buy. The briar seems unusually light, as if it was aged for a long time.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"I was under the impression that this was one of the pipe makers owned by Dunhill."
You may be right, as PipesandCigars.com has the following comment on their Britannia page:
"Britannia Pipes are making a comeback after a long absence. Traditional English Shapes offered with large bowls. Excellent value for the Dunhill smoker who just doesn't want to pay for it. After all a Dunhill of similar size would be 10 times the price!"
I agree, the briar feels really light, well aged.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipepedia has Britannia's listed as Comoy "seconds" afterall. Although Britannia's pitch says they are

made by "the largest pipe maker in England." My pipe says "Made in England," and I think Comoy

makes their pipes in France. If anyone has clarity on this, that would be good. In any case,

that Britannia is a beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.