PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetastycat

Lurker
Sep 8, 2015
Hello all - this forum is magnificent. Various things have kept me from smoking for probably five years. Last week I had two good friends come stay and we happily talked and smoked deep into the night. I've now fallen in love with it all over again.
I've got 25 or so glass jars containing tobacco from Ye Olde Chinese Purveyour of Pipe Smoking Accessories (Walmart) and a few opened tins. I smoked some University Flake from one of Peterson's open tins, and it seemed to be just the right moisture. I had some Stonehaven from a jar, and while it smoked beautifully, it was lacking in the flavor I remember so well. The jars do have a sort of soft plastic or rubber seal around the neck, and I remember wondering how that would hold up over time.
So - would I be wise to perhaps put an apple slice in the jars that don't seem quite moist enough? Or too dry, I should say. As long as I remember to take them out!! Is there anything else I should do to bring these noble tobaccos back to their fullest selves?
Many thanks, all!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If your tobacco isn't crumbly dry, it probably doesn't need rehydration. The seal on a mason jar should be good for more than a few years. But, if you're going to rehydrate, place the tobacco in a wide bottomed bowl, like a soup bowl, dampen some paper toweling with distilled water, and stretch the toweling over the tobacco without actually touching it. Let sit for a few hours and test the weed. You don't want to over hydrate.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome to the forums.
The apple slice trick sounds good at first glance but is very likely to cause mildew/mold. The simplest way is to pour your tobacco in a flat pan and cover with a moist towel - not allowing the towel to touch the tobacco. Check every few hours for your preferred moisture level. You might also search the forums for the key word, "rehydrate" or "rehydration. There are many threads devoted to the topic with more detail than I'm providing here.
Happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.