Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I jut picked up a tin of the new Brigham Acadian Blend. I really like this blend, takes a little work to get flavor, but all in all I am impressed with the VA/PER.

That being said, I noticed a 2nd sticker buried underneath the main sticker. When I removed the main sticker, I found a sticker with the same tobacco description, but a different name "Tudor Mixture." Has Brigham just taken an existing tobacco and renamed it? Is this what they have done with this supposedly "new line" of tobaccos?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Bump. I can't answer your question, but I hope someone can. I'd like to know this before I do an order of any of the new Brigham blends...

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I Have Tried a lot of the Brigham blends since i live in Canada and it easily accessible but sadly none of them are for me. They are too expensive to try all of them at once and its way cheaper to order online lol

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I went through a few of the Brigham blends when they were in the blue plastic pouches and readily available up here. They were always decent, so I want to try these tins.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Is Brigham actually even Canadian anymore? Their pipes are made in Italy, and the tobacco is being processed in Germany. The only thing I can find that is "Made In Canada" are the rock maple inserts.
Back to the tobacco, hopefully they are just using up some old tins. Nonetheless, I do like this tobacco. It has a very fruity / floral scent with a very mild flavour.

Dec 24, 2012
The company is a Canadian incorporated company (and hence a Canadian taxpayer) and its head office is here, but the pipes are manufactured offshore. Kind of like Nike in the US, lol.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There is a product from Brigham called Mr. B's D Series Tudor Mixture. I wonder if it's the same thing. It is a Va/per.
See here:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=M&TID=4377

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is the sticker that was underneith the Acadian Blend sticker.

The tin descriptions are identical... I can't help but wonder if maybe they have just re-named the tobacco.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I believe they rebranded a few of their tobacco's. I never knew they had tobacco until just recently when it showed up on smokingpipes.com
For example the Mr. B's D-Series Rise and Shine has almost the same description of the now available Maritime Morning.
Rise and Shine:

This tobacco consists of the Finest Oriental tobaccos that are balanced with mild Bright and Red Virginias to produce a light but satisfying smoke. This is perfect for the first pipe of the day and mild enough for all day smoking.
Maritime Morning:

Fine Orientals are blended with and balanced out by both bright and red Virginias, in order to produce a light, easy-to-enjoy smoke.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Here's the descriptions of the Tudor Mixture and Acadian Blend:
Tudor:

This is a shag cut blend of light and medium brown Virginias with a high percentage of fruity black Perique. A mild, but naturally sweet pure tobacco flavour. A great choice for fans of Virginia and those looking for an alternative to Latakia blends.
Acadian:

A shag-cut mix of light and medium Virginias meet black Perique, to produce a mild, sweet smoke. While the tin note possesses a sweet, raisin or berry-like element, it's naturally-occurring, not an aromatic: this is a straight tobacco.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'm in the same boat as you fitzy. This may well just be a rebranding of an existing product to try and bring it more to the forfront of the market!

Seems to have worked because I never knew of the original blends, but I am looking into these blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've been very curious to try some of their tobacco's but I've been waiting to hear some reviews on here first.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I believe Roth is right in the sense that they used up their old tins and re-labelled them as opposed to re-branding the tobacco. In an earlier thread, we asked about the profiles of the Brigham tobaccos, and the Brigham rep said that they will be available in Canada after Canadian 'approval'. This would suggest that it is a new 'formula' for lack of a better word, than what is currently used in any Brigham blends. If it were a re-branding of existing tobaccos, then there would be no need for regulatory approval as it will have already passed Food, Alcohol, Tobacco guidelines and registration; all they would need to do to introduce it back into Canada is change the labeling. Since this hasn't happened, I'm fairly confident that it is a NEW tobacco. I have a strong suspicion that the tin you have is exactly as Roth says, they re-labelled the tin and not the tobacco.

I could be wrong though...
Shutterbug

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would agree with you shutter if all of those recently announced blends didn't have the exact same description as their existing blends. Maybe they are only repackaged like that to be more attractive to the US market.
I wonder if Brian Levine would know.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Brigham buttered rum was the first tobacco I ever bought (for the insane price of over 20$ in Vancouver) Wasnt much to write home about but did the job enough to get me into piping.

krosham

Lurker
Feb 15, 2012
I manage a smoke shop in Canada and I know for a fact that the tins you are getting stateside are the Mr. B series of tins that we have had here for years that have been renamed for the US market. When the Mr. B series was first launched here they were intended to be matches for the Murray's Dunhill line of tobaccos when these ceased production back in the day. Rise and Shine was a match for EMP, Days' End for Nightcap. etc. Tudor Mix was the match for the Elizabethan Mix. The colours (note Canadian spelling there) and design of the tins are very similar to their Dunhill counterparts as well. Since there is no legal distributor of the new Dunhill tins in Canada the Mr. B series still exists in its current form. In the US (where you can get the actual Dunhill tins) they wanted to make sure that no lawsuits over potential copyright issues or the like would happen thus the redesign/rename of the products. That being said. They are all (regardless of the tin are) decent blends made by Solani specifically for Brigham Canada.
Hope this helps!

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I tried a few of their blends but ended up giving them away due to the serious bite I got from them. Espically their Early Morning Pipe. All it did was numb my tongue for two days and I rinsed with Biotene in between as well. I think I posted on this a while back.

Everyone is different, hope you enjoy the leaf!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ive been smoking their Modern English which is a very mild English blend and its quite nice. Ive tried a few others and they were quite good as well, its all up to individual tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.