PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Received the Brigham Sportsman Bent Pot that I Purchased from Forum member Pruss. He did an outstanding job reconditioning this pipe, and the grain pops out, even through the unusual rustication.

87B88CA6-37FF-46A5-A8CD-3AEC61DE3559-696-0000008AA1641603_zpsdb7eda06.jpg

It is has a nice, open draw as well. I am enjoying some Anniversary Kake with it now.

Dec 24, 2012
I got a couple from Pruss as well. Those Brighams are growing on me. I like the filters (never thought I would say that). The only thing that makes me nervous is taking care of those older, pesky vulcanite stems.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The Sportsman has a lucite stem. Brigham are some of my favorite pipes, and the Sportsman model are great solid smokers.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This one does have the Lucite stem, and it makes a big difference. The shape is listed as a 284 volcano in the newer lines, and really, I think it is more of a volcano than a pot, but it doesn't matter. The smoke's the thing, and this example smokes great.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@rigmedic1 - I am really happy to hear you are pleased with your Brigham! I thought that the grain on that pot was outstanding, and that the original stain was holding up really well, even through the Sportsman style rustication. Thanks for your comments, and for your business.
@drwatson - Are you sure about the material that the old "Made in Canada" Brighams use for stems? I've cleaned up about ten of these so far, and they all exhibit oxidation. I understood that lucite/acrylic doesn't oxidize. I know that the Brigham pipes being made in Italy use acrylic stems, but wonder what might be causing the older stems to oxidize if they aren't some form of rubber. They do clean up with magic eraser, and micro-mesh pretty well regardless.
Cheers,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Roth. That's what I thought. I'm fairly certain that all the Brighams I've cleaned up so far have all had vulcanite stems. That being said, they do seem to be higher quality vulcanite than some of the lower quality pipes I've had come across the workbench.
-- Pat

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Well, this is the hardest vulcanite I have ever seen, hehheh. It feels like Lucite! Either way, it smokes great and looks like a high end pipe. Top quality restoration!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That's a beautiful pipe and the two dot I got from Pat knocked another two dot out of my regular rotation.
He does brilliant work and I know you're going to be delighted with this old soldier for years to come. More importantly, Pat's a stand up guy who damn well makes sure you're getting value for the money spent.
Rig, you got a killer burner from a guy who takes pride in his restoration skills. It's a double-win all day long.
Fnord

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Pat always does a great job making old pipes look new again. I get so many compliments on the looks of the Brigham I got from him back in Sept. Also comments on the great aromas coming from my bowl too lol

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
@pruss Well I can't speak for all, but I know that the sportsman I have has a hand cut lucite stem. Some of the older models may not?? Can't be sure on that one! I've got 16 Brighams from the one dot to the Acadian and love all of them. Can even be smoked without the filter! I did just get one of the 3 dot last week and is stamped Italy, I was not aware that they are not made in Canada anymore. The only one small complaint that I have ever had with them is the stems usually need some minor adjustment to them. Either alittle tight or tenon adjustment. Not that big of deal, couple minutes in the shop and all is well.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I've noticed some of them don't line up but I've never worried much about it. It's not really noticeable and about the filter thing, I don't use them anymore. Too much to worry about after smoking. I'm a day piper so taking my pipe apart after every smoke and dealing with the filters was hasslesome (word? lol) and I like it better without them. With 16 pipes in your Brigham collection mine looks small with only 6 but it's coming along nicely. :puffy:

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I still don't have a Canadian made Brigham, but even my Italy made 2 dot is awesome, my best smoking pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.