PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaman

Lurker
Dec 8, 2018
Hi. For those of you with much more refined...uh...tongues and more experience, do you find that inserts like Brigham's (or others) alter the taste? If so, in what way? Also, do these reduce the tar much?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard good reports, however some find the Brighams smoke just fine without the inserts. The fewer the required supplemental supplies for a pipe, the better, for me.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum!
You will find that the filter debate is ongoing and with no end in sight. Some swear by filters, some detest them. As for me, some of my pipes take filters and some don't. I use a rock maple insert for my Brigham and its great. I have a Christmas 2016 Peterson and some Vauens that take a 9mm charcoal filter. I find that they really restrict the draw for me.
But like anything else pipe related, do what works for you and your pipe.
Happy piping!

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
The maple inserts do absorb a lot of moisture,and I’Ve had no problems with strange tastes.BUT.........they do restrict the draw a little bit,not as much as the charcoal filters,but it’s not the open draw feeling you get with a non filter pipe.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I think the Brigham filters are the best of the filter types, they definitely lower tar and moisture. I find it helps to rotate them. Take them out and let them dry between smokes and results are good!

Status
Not open for further replies.