PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hello fellow pipesmokers,
for a while now I have been looking at Brigham pipes on smokingpipes.com, and I really like some of their shapes, the bulldogs in particular. However, I have never seen one of their pipes, and it is most likely I won't see one ever as they are not sold around here. I was wondering what do you guys think of them and of the maple insert they employ. Can they be used without the insert ( I guess not) ? Thanks !
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Brigham Algonquin Rhodesian (2-dot), which is near the bottom of their line, and it gives me good smokes.

IMO, their filter system is the best, mainly because you can pass a pipe cleaner through it.

My main criticism is that it is a heavy pipe for its size, so check the stats on the pipes you're interested in.

BrighamAlgonquin.jpg

If I needed a pipe in the Brigham price range I would probably go with a Savinelli instead. :lol:

(BTW, I'm not a fan of filters, and I use the adapters on my Savinellis.)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The only Brighams I have are of the older variety that were made in Canada. I find them to be great smoking pipes, and the filter helps absorb moisture without restricting the draw. I've never smoked one without the filter, but I see no reason why you couldn't. I don't have one of the newer Italian made pipes, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. So unless you want to buy an estate pipe of the Canadian type, I would go ahead and buy a new one.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I have 3 Brighams, an Algonquin and 2 Chinooks. They are awesome. I smoke all 3 without the maple insert.
According to their website, it's been relatively recently that they started marketing their pipes in the States so they are somewhat unknown there, but they are good smoking pipes.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had a few Brighams back in the day. Eaton's department stores in Ontario used to sell them. They were nice pipes, about on par with Savinelli, Parker, et al. Basically on par with a top-line second...mixed grain, occasionally a tiny fill or two. Good smokers. I don't even recall them having a filter, I probably tossed it right away and forgot about it.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have a $60 Brigham that is a fantastic smoker. The rustication on it, however, looks a 5 y/o did it with a screwdriver. I personally like the maple inserts, as they pull a lot of moisture out of the smoke. As mentioned above, a pipe cleaner goes right through them,

and it's better thought of as a liner for the stem than a filter. Whether it's the insert or the design/execution of the pipe, or all of the above, mine smokes very well and I'd highly recommend them at that price point. Their higher end finishes I can't speak to.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
What I did was find an estate Brigham one dot, bought a box of maple filters, cleaned the bowl and fired it up. It smoked fairly well, and you can get up to 5 good smokes with one filter. I read where the maple filter could be rinsed and reused a time or two, but it takes awhile for one to dry. I liked it enough to get a second one, another estate that was restored by a forum member. I think they are good pipes for the money, as good as Peterson or Savinelli or Stanwell. You could probably smoke one without the maple filters, but if that is the case, it it probably more beneficial to get a Pete or a Savinelli.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am a tremendous fan of bulldogs and I have been tempted in the past by the Brigham Acadian dogs. Really just a fine take on a classic shape -- somehow sturdy AND refined.
Encouraging to hear they smoke well.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
While I've had my hands on many, I only have two in current rotation.
I have a Chinook series Canadian and it smokes wonderfully. This is one of the newer Brigham pipes and is made in France if I'm remembering correctly.
I also have a three dot Prince of the earlier, made in Canada, pipes. It is also a fine smoker. I have recently come across the seven dot twin to my prince and it will be joining my collection with a Brigham Lowlander shortly.
Estate Brigham pipes are very affordable and represent some of the best value for money in the estate market as far as I'm concerned. The drilling is good, the weight fantastic, even with the insert, and the draw is wonderful.
I find the lower grades of the newly made pipes a little wanting for grain, alignment and finishing quality. I have had a couple friends who had problems with draw on similar grades of the new pipes. But in both instances they were taken care of by their respective retailers and were more than happy with their replacement Brighams.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@wolfe64 That is a lovely old Brigham, in one of their classic shapes and classic rusticated finishes. That's an awesome find for $10, and a perfect example of the value for money in Brigham estate pipes I was talking about.
-- Pat

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I have a Mountaineer 329, a newer pipe but not made in Canada and I love it. I'm going to be looking for a Canadian made Brigham estate pipe when I start buying pipes again. The rock maple filter wicks a good amount of moisture out and is a benefit to the smoke. It's a bit of a shame that they've moved production out of the country. I'd bet money that my grandfather had a Brigham or two living in Toronto as he did and remembering him smoking a pipe. That looks like a beauty @wolfe64.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Redpanda:
I've got a couple of two dot, made in Canada Brighams that are superlative smokers. I always use the maple inserts, because, why not? The filters are affordable and really dry out the smoke.
If Pruss says the newer pipes, made abroad, are solid then take that info to the bank.
I've been told by several Canadian pipe movers that vintage Brighams were based on bowl finish.
The vintage Brigham line is one of Canada's best kept secrets.
Fnord

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks Pruss it came from a co worker's father, who bought some pipes and a pipe rack at an auction sale and was flipping them.

I bought 2 pipes, this being one.
Mark

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wanted a Brigham when they were made in Canada. I was always a little put off by the rock maple inserts -- just one more system and consumer item to navigate, so I never bought one. When they moved production to Italy, I felt like I'd do as well to buy an Italian pipe in the same price range. Brigham no longer had the status of adding a nation to my pipe rack. To their credit, Brighams are often praised by their owners, so credit where due.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I had a Mountaineer once that was gifted to me. I smoked it a few times and thought it smoked good. I remember really enjoying some Pipeworks & Wilke No.191 in it. It seemed to make that tobacco better for some reason? I think it must have been the filter? I gifted the pipe to a co-worker who had expressed an interest in pipe smoking. He got let go a short time after, so I never got his take on what he thought about the pipe. I thought the pipe was nice enough.

buddy

Lurker
Oct 7, 2012
I've owned several of the made-in-Canada's purchased new. Nice smokes and I liked the filter.
But I bought an estate once. Apparently the previous owner didn't know the filter was removable. It was so munged-up and embedded in the shank that I just tossed the pipe. Nasty!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just my 0.02 cents worth. I bought 5 Brigham pipes in the past eight months. All of them new except the estate Sportsman. The Sportsman is the only Brigham I have that was/is made in Canada. All of the other four were made in Italy. I have a Chinook, cheap low end. A Mountaineer, Heritage, Klondike. Except for the Sportsman they are lousy smokers. Each of them had draw problems. To fix the draw and make them smoke what I consider to be proper, I drilled them out with a 5/32" drill bit. Now, I repeat, NOW, they smoke just fine with or without the rock maple insert. I no longer use the rock maple inserts. The finish on the Klondike bubbled in several places and the B&M I purchased it from replaced it. They are good folks. Personally, I would never buy another Brigham pipe. They're junk. Certainly since they are a Canadian pipe Company with the pipes being farmed out to Italy or France. Save your money and get a nice Savinelli or a Peterson or a dozen of the other brands out there. Oh, and the Chinook is the worst of all. It has very thin walls and you could fill it with snow and it would still burn hot.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I only have one, a bent Country Club. It is very light weight for its size and a nice smoke. My onlt concern is that the tenon is a bit too long. With the maple filter in it the draw feels very restricted so I have to back the stem off a fraction. Some others have had the same issue and sand the tenon down a bit.

I'm still on the fence about using the maple filters since I don't use any filters in my other pipes.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@shikano53 - The Chinook is actually the current equivalent of the 4 Dot, so it is one of the higher end of the line and is one of the three models made in St. Claude, France and not in Italy. I know a number of guys who have Chinooks, and love them, perhaps you got a lemon? Not saying the current line don't have problems, I've heard similar things about draw and also heard similar reports to John's about the mortise being too short (or more often, too long). In general, I agree with the sentiment of staying away from the lower tier models. I'd only buy Chinook, Klondike, or Acadian models of the current lines.
This is all a little moot, because for less than the price of a new Chinook you could have an estate Calich from Mike at Briar Blues. Now Calich's are Canuck pipes worth digging for!
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.