PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csquared

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
I just got a Brigham Algonquin Volcano. Looks great. I am smoking english blends in that I like, but it seems like the filter inside is muting the taste. It's my second bowl, same thing, I get a hint of the taste but that's it. I can't taste much, even when I snork it there isn't much a of a smell. Has anyone else noticed it? Can I use the pipe without the insert?
Muchas Grassy-Ass.
-csquared

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Yes, you CAN smoke without the filter, but I wouldn't suggest it. Just like any other pipe with a filter system, you will learn to smoke it to get the best out of it. If you are cleaning your filters (or rotating them out for fresh and allowing the old to dry out), then you will find that the pipe just needs getting used to. I personally love the Brigham filters (it is the only filter that I actually WANT in my pipes), and I find that it sucks up a lot of moisture that you don't even realize accumulates. The Brighams are designed to smoke with the filter (and does not advertise that you should or should not smoke with/without it...unlike the Savinelli balsams which say you can smoke without if you wish). You'll quickly adapt to smoking with the Brighams. If you do a quick search on Brigham Filters in the forum search function, you'll find a lot of info on how to clean and maintain your filters.

Enjoy!
Shutterbug

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Maybe its just me but for some reason when im breaking in new pipes I always seem to notice the smoke isnt as flavorful as it is once its broken in a bit. I just recently bought 2 Brighams, a volcano like yours and a billiard and I will say that you must let the filters dry completely out to get the best tasting smoke. I have a pack of the filters to take around if im going to smoke more than once for this reason and usually leave the used ones out over night at least and put them back in right when im about to fill the bowl.
Congrats on your new pipe, they are very good cheap smokers as the others have said on this forum. :puffy:

csquared

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
I havent changed the filter. I just noticed it takes away the sweetness or flavor of the tobacco. I just smoked the same blend in one of my BBB pipes and it was as expected. Perhaps I just need to break in the pipe to get the best out of it. Thanks guys. I have smoked Sunrise Smoke and Berkshire from Sutliff in it.

danielmore

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
Hi csquared. The Brigham insert isn't actually a filter in that the smoke passes freely uninterrupted from the bowl to the receiver. The Rock Maple is natural and untreated. The ID of the insert is large enough to pass a pipe cleaner through so as such shouldn't restrict the draw. As someone has mentioned it will absorb moisture as well as tars and acids that cause tongue bite. It was for this reason the insert was developed.
The lack of taste you describe might be the absence of tongue bite that you may have grown accustomed to. Give some time to acquaint yourself with the new pipe and insert. As for the question of smoking a Brigham without the insert - no problem. You'll get a little extra draw than you might be accustomed to as the ID of the chamber will be a little larger than the average.
No rules for smoking pipes - to each their own - enjoy!

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have quite a few Brighams since they are pretty much all I smoke. I smoke some blends with the rock maple filter and some without. Sometimes I will have a bowl without just to have more of a concentration of flavors. All the filter does is absorb moisture from the tobacco and decreases tongue bite. I found as well that once I opened the draught hole in the pipe to 5/32" the pipe stayed lit better, was easier to draw from and didn't take so much effort to smoke. I have the exact pipe you have and once I opened it up (and all my other Brighams) they smoked SO much better.
roth said it right, 'Brigham makes fine pipes' and indeed they are. Just take your time to get to know the pipe and the pipe maker. However I do suggest opening the draught hole, it will give you more smoke in the mouth with less effort and less bite.
Happy smoking! :puffy:

csquared

Lurker
Aug 4, 2012
Haha.. I kind of like the bite. Especially when I snork. It's building a cake faster than my other pipes too... I dig it. It's just different from all my other pipes! I have savanellis but I don't use the balsa filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.