PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is quite an interesting smoke:
As others have mentioned, this blend attempts to approximate the incomparable "Royal Yacht," which may be the most unique blend in pipe smoking because it utterly defeats any attempt to fence-sit: people either love it or hate it, as proven by the epithet "Royal Yuck" that follows it on some less-than-reputable pipe forums. The good news is that "Hudson's Bay" is a great blend that scratches much of the same itch, although it is distinct enough that it would not really function well as a substitute for "Royal Yacht," which like the North Star has such a personality that it cannot be confused with anything else.
Upon opening the tin, a strong note of wine or port wafts upward to tingle the nostrils, along with a faint tingle of detecting stoved and possibly smoked tobacco, a spicy slightly acrid smell. It comes wetter in the tin than "Royal Yacht," and the dark leaves are darker and more numerous than in the Dunhill blend. However, the heart of the 'Yacht -- those rich, honey-flavored Empire Virginias -- spring up and stand out enough to make any 'Yacht smoker salivate. On first light, the topping begins a quick burnoff, and by the time the first third of the bowl is done, the Virginias have caramelized and synthesized the stoved and flue-cured varieties of leaf to create a uniform flavor that is indescribable. In this, "Hudson's Bay" does what so far only "Royal Yacht" and a handful of other tobaccos have done, which is bring out the Virginia flavors through careful curing.
For those who like this type of Virginia blend, which is not so much breakfast cereal sweet but a mellow full warmth with undertones of honey, "Hudson's Bay" will be a delight. This is a perfect working tobacco because its flavor is composed of nuance and variation within a strong outer flavor, sort of like discovering new dimensions to a favorite novel while reading it again on a rainy night. It lacks the Nicotine punch of the 'Yacht, but for once, I really did not care. This is like discovering a tribute to an old friend who died too young.
Apparently, "Hudson's Bay" has also vanished into history and lore because it is impossible to find of late. This is unfortunate, because people who dislike "Royal Yacht" might find this blend more approachable. It is less subtle; this allows the full Virginia flavor to pop forth to the front of the palate instead of converging from the corners like an army coming out of the mist. It has a light tang composed of the stoved smokey flavor interacting with the alcohol topping, which despite burning off leaves its acerbic overtones within the blend. But as the leaf melts into itself, that warm and soothing flavor takes over, and like a ghost in the fog, begins to reveal its secrets.
"Hudson's Bay" will not replace the dearly departed and inimitable "Royal Yacht," but it has much of the same appeal and enough character and quality to be a worthy blend on its own. If you can find it, enjoy it, because blending this subtle yet flavorful is a rarity, and a joy to experience.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "cortezattic" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/7868#review98298
Nothing can replace the 'Yacht, but this is a great smoke on its own that has a similar appeal. I would buy it anyway even if I could acquire Royal Yacht in unlimited quantities, and think it similar to Ye Olde Signe or even Lakeland Dark in terms of its appeal.

carburetor422

Lurker
Feb 10, 2017
Great review. I’m a long time lurker and occasional poster. I happen to be a fellow Royal Yacht fanatic. I just can’t get enough of the stuff. Hopefully I might find someone who has a sample of this one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.