PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have purchased and sampled all the Brigadier Black blends from Pipes&Cigars.com, and would like to share what I found. Pipe Novelist also had a great review, here.
First up, Alamo. Mild, sweet smoke, notes of chocolate and caramel. Smells great, tastes great. Alamo will require a few minutes to dry, but is a very satisfying smoke. I honestly see no downside - it's for all day, and I will certainly stock up. (The can depicts the last stand of Davy Crockett)
Waterloo - Long, golden strands that pack perfectly using the Harry Method. A little sweeter than I like, but a very good eye-opener in the morning. I can't put my finger on the flavor, but it smells great and tastes good. (The can depicts the charge of the Scots Greys.)
Gettysburg - Like everybody else, I was little wary of a peach-flavored tobacco. But Gettysburg pulls it off with a very good, flavorful smoke. It's good for a special occasion, but if you really, really like peaches, Gettysburg delivers. (The can art is certainly from the battle, but I don't have time to research everything! :) The Peach Orchard was the scene of much bloodshed, mostly the fault of General Dan Sickles.)
Bull Run - This is the best of them all. Mild and full of good, nutty tobacco flavor. For now, this is my go-to. Tastes good to the heel, and even seems to improve after a relight. This is the first tobacco that makes me want another bowl immediately. (The painting shows Union Zouaves being routed at the Battle of Manassas.)
Naturally, your experience may vary. My tastes are not representative of this community - I'm pretty much an aromatic smoker. According to the P&C catalog, these blends are made by Altadis, a company with long experience in aromatics.
All these blends will require a half hour to dry before you smoke. They will go crispy after a couple hours, though, so be mindful. If you were wondering whether to take the plunge for a full 8oz tin, my opinion is you won't regret it.
Last note: I am not employed by, or affiliated with Pipes&Cigars, nor did they offer or deliver any consideration for this review. But you already knew that.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for this review I am been eyeing these blends for a while. I will definitely try all four thanks to your review.
One of my questions was is there a major difference between Bull Run and Waterloo? All you really get from the descriptions on the web site is Vanilla.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I ordered Waterloo first, since it said they are both vanilla-flavored. Bull Run is far superior, to me. Waterloo is a strong taste - not harsh, but not a smooth vanilla flavor. I really can't describe Waterloo, which is why the review lacks a lot of substance. It has a definite flavor, very similar to 1Q. It's my least favorite of these blends - not because it's bad, but because the others are better.
It sounds like I'm damning the blend with faint praise, but lemme put it this way: If I had not tried the other Brigs, I would love the Waterloo. I hope that helps.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I get what you mean. lol I am probably ordering all four for the tin art as much as the tobacco. I will probably save the peach for last. Just kind of scares me.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I sure wouldn't smoke Gettysburg every day, but it's a darned nice peach flavor. Very good for a change of pace, and we all need something different once in a while.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I can vouch for Bull Run. I bought a tin and it's a nice smooth vanilla! Very pleasant to smoke and more actual flavor than you might expect.

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
I just ordered Alamo, (too good of a Cyber Monday sale to pass up at $11 and some change for EIGHT ounces!), and I liked it. Aros aren't very high on my list, normally, but to me, this is an all day every kind of day basic smoke. Lots of vanilla. Didn't seem to be overly cased to me. In fact, I did no dry time, packed the bowl, never had one relight, and smoked it all the way to the bottom without a gurgle. For me, this is one I will enjoy any time I smoke. While it's not on the knock-my-socks-off list, it is on the good-anytime-for-a-basic-smoke list without being overly topped like too many aros. YMMV. Oh, and I liked it waaaaaaaay better than the Lane or Captain equivalents. Very smooth and mild; no nic slam. Just like I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.