PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello again everyone! As you all may know, I'm still new to pipe smoking. Just ordered my first pipe a couple of days ago, and I'm already looking at others. Anyways, per the advice of some other posters, I have been doing a little bit of research on tobaccos. Now, I'm a bit torn because almost everyone recommends starting off with aromatics; and yet there are some who don't smoke them because of tongue bite. I would like to avoid tongue bite (and yes, I realize that eventually it probably is going to happen) but I wanted to ask you all for advice. I do realize there are other threads like this one, but I figured the best way to get answers would be to create my own thread.
So I was looking through some sampler packs of tobacco on pipesandcigars.com, and I noticed that they have some Brigadier Black sales going on right now (four 8 oz tins for around $50). I found some threads talking about these flavors, and the feedback seems very positive. Because of the price, I find myself debating on what my next step should be. Should I go ahead and spend the money on tobacco that has been reviewed pretty well, or should I play it safe and just purchase a more mild, traditional tobacco (example: 1Q). I'm torn because I went on tobaccoreviews.com and the feedback regarding 1Q was kind of split right down the middle. Some like it, some don't.
So, I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions. What would you all do if you were in my position? What are your thoughts on the Brigadier Black favors for someone who is just getting into pipe smoking? I appreciate any feedback you can provide me!

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I've also read quite a few good reviews about the Frog Morton series, which they also have sampler packs of (http://pipesandcigars.com/frwecosa.html#.UL-xLIPBFic). Would any of you recommend this type for beginners?

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Yea that's what I wanted to do, but there are no tobacconists around my area unfortunately

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Another question to consider...do any of you feel that a specific Brigadier Black flavor is/could be well suited for a beginner pipe smoker?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I tried my first frog morton blend(cellar) the other day and love it. they are very highly liked by most people. Do you have experience with cigars? if so you might like a light english blend and some VA's. Where are you geographically located at?

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
If I were you, I would start off purchasing 1oz samples of tobaccos that sound interesting as opposed to spending $50 plus on 4 cans of tobacco. As a matter of fact, that's still what I do when I find something interesting but, then again, I'm not a gambler. Maybe you are a gambler or maybe you have a very strong sense what you like, I know I don't so I take small risks based on a ton of research.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There's nothing wrong with 1-Q. I keep a few lbs around! I've had Brigadier Black Bull Run and it's good quality tobacco witha vanilla flavor. Mix it up and get a few tins of this and that. You get free shipping at $100 from P&C, which for me is 1/2 the price of buying it locally. It's the best value from P&C. I'll second the Frogs, too.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm in the Southern Wisconsin area, somewhat close to Madison. I have smoked cigars before, but really only one or two higher-quality cigars. Other than that just the occasional swisher sweets. And yea that's what I originally planned on doing - 1 oz of this, 1 oz of that (etc.) to get a feel for what i do and don't like. I wasn't saying I was for sure going to take a risk and purchase all of them, was just wanting some feedback from others on the brand. I'm also considering maybe just doing a sample of one or two tobaccos from P&C and then maybe getting a higher end pipe to get things going (to get the free shipping). I got an old unsmoked Dr Grabow off of ebay for around $13, but I'd like to experiment with other pipes as well..

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I am a bout to post reviews on all the Brigidier Black blends. Let me say this, they are some of the mildest blends I have ever smoked. They would be good to start off with, but after you get the hand of pipe smoking you are more than likely going to want to move on to other blends that have more body and flavor. For an old timer like me with 45 years smoking the pipe, I can hardly taste them, like smoking hot air.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Do you think the BB blends would be more suited for someone who has never smoked pipe before than, say, the traditional 'beginner' tobacco - 1Q? I am a bit hesitant just because of the fact that the smallest amount I'd be able to purchase is 8oz of the BB blends.
I though it through and was planning on starting off with two tobaccos - one aromatic, one nonaromatic. Trying to do some research to figure out which ones I want to try first. Do any of you have suggestions for either/or? :)

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Thread Necromancy!
These tobaccos are P&C's Cyber Monday sale right now.
4 - 8oz tins for ~$54

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
I know this might not be as helpful as other comments but my advice would be to start tearing through 1-2 oz samples of as many different kinds of blends until you figure out what you like to smoke. I have been smoking for 2 1/2 years and have just finally found a rotation of 4-5 blends that I smoke regularly. Tongue bite is apart of this hobby, and unless it is coming from a chemical/allergy reaction to a certain tobacco, it is mainly due to poor smoking technique (there are exceptions) which gets much better with practice and time. Patience and persistence is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.