Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Bridge of Spies

(7 posts)
  1. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

If you haven't had the chance to watch this one, I would strongly suggest it...and it even has a pipe smoking scene!

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That character is Allen Dulles, director of the CIA.

ALWAYS photographed with a pipe, and usually with what looks to me like a prince, as in the film.

Cannot make out the manufacturer from any pics I've seen, except that I think it's not a Dunhill or anything else that carries a white mark on the stem.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great film for sure!

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For relatively recent espionage cinema, I really enjoy Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and the series The Assets. Get your paranoid on! Kim Philby is at the diner, semaphoring a contact time to his meet with his cocktail napkin.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

• The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

Mark Rylance killed the role of the spy. Well deserved Oscar.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn good movie.

Upcoming, a TV series (S4) is The Americans, on Wed, 3-16 on FX. (Ch. 248 on DIRECTV®). Even if not a fan of spy flicks, Kerri Russell makes it extra special.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zack:

Looking forward to "Bridge of Spies" appearing first at Netflix or Redbox.

I will always be sucker punched into a Tom Hanks film. (And here's to hoping against hope he and Spielberg will make that "one" definitive Korean Conflict film casting William Sadler again as Lewis "Chesty" Puller like they did in "The Pacific." Sadler vs. Puller age metrics are pretty close.)

Jpmcwjr, we're big "The Americans" fans in my house and this fourth season could be something special. For those of us who lived through the Cold War, this series really brings it home: great production values, excellent writing, very well acted and timely, if you can get with the over the shoulder look-back.

The Reds were my boogey-man while growing up. I'm grateful that I lived in Midwest, USA during my formative years rather than a 7th Army base in the Fulda Gap.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mikey517, alaskanpiper, cfreud, burleyboy, georged, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg, the85boro