Brick N Morter blend vs. Internet blend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning to all, Just wanted to pick the brains of the experts out there. I am new to pipe smoking and was curious about what is the difference between a blend made by my local tobacconist and what is available on the internet with the same name. Is the price the only difference or is there an actual difference in the blend itself?

You'll have to be a little more specific. Which blend and by whom?

Some tobacconist just put out blends like 1-Q and rename them something fancy. Most will be honest and tell you what the real name is, and others like the Mountain Burlier in Gatlinburg will chose to lie to your face while climbing trees than admit that they are renaming Peter Stokkebye blends.
Most likely, if the tobacconist is still selling the blend at this point in FDA regulations, it is merely a renamed blend. If they are actually mixing things together, they may have to pay for a manufacturing licence, which no B&M could afford.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Well for example they have a black cordial that I like and they are telling me that they blend it themselves. They also have medal of valor that almost blew my head off. Both of which I have found on the internet. The shop has been there for over 30 years/same owners, so I assume they are telling the truth when they say they make their own blends.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Not sure. I know they only carry a small amount of tinned tobacco, but they have a large supply of individually bagged tobacco that they sell. Must have 20-30 different blends on their shelves. I know at one point I saw them blending some tobacco, and overheard them on a call telling someone that they were waiting on a shipment of tobacco so they could make several blends they were almost out of.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Just trying to understand if there is going to be any differences between the black cordial, cherry pie, medal of valor, boss blend, imperial cherry that they sell and the blends available on the internet with the same name. Should I expect them to pretty much be the same, or is there likely to be enough differences that I should try them to see which is the best black cordial of the many black cordials out there.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Many bulk blends sold in tobacconists are simply bulks from Lane Ltd. or McClelland, to name a few. There would not be any difference in the quality of the blends. Many tobacconists rename bulk blends, calling 1Q any number of names to create the impression that they are blending. The difference in price is the absence of state and local taxes as well as the normal costs of business. My 2 cents.

Mike S.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The best result will be your trying a smoke-off between the blends of the same name that you like. Almost certainly they will taste slightly different, even if the tobaccos are exactly the same in both blends. (Storage, age, moisture content).

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
A great big thanks to all the feedback I have gotten on this subject. It really is a big help. Going to order some Sutliff Black Cherry and Sutliff Black Cordial and see how they compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.