Briarworks Quality?

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tschiraldi
  • Latest reply from jmsmitty6
  1. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anybody here with experience with current production Briarworks pipes that can attest to their comfort / smoking qualities? I know they have improved since nixing the Icarus/Neptune lines, and claim to have improved fit and finish (they no longer make them with interchangeable stems). The Briar has always been good quality and Pete and Todd make beautiful pipes under their own names, but curious about comfort and engineering.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

good pipes, good briar, and good engineering. The only knock on them is that the stems are a little thicker than i prefer and this is largely do to the fact that they do this to make them more quickly.

I also think they are slightly higher price then they should be but that is just my opinion. If you can find an unsmoked or lightly smoked estate at a great price then I would say try one out. They are good pipes but they stems just lack a little fine tuning that a completely handmade pipe might give you.

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. usrkain47

usrkain47

Login to Send PM

I second the above comment. I have a bent billiard a friend gave me when he quickly found the hobby didn’t suit him. Engineering is excellent, the pipe smokes like a more expensive pipe in my opinion. I’ll agree the the bit is on the thicker side as well. Overall very impressed even if a bent billiard isn’t really my shape and I rarely reach for it. When I do it smokes great. Also nice there is a quality maker here in my home state.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

Just want to add that I absolutely recommend their higher grade pipes.

One of my first of their line was a Neptune (which I’m assuming were discontinued) and then I followed up with one of their signature pipes. I’ll upload some pics at some point but I can say they smoke like a champ and are well made and I have absolutely zero complaints. I’ll buy more as I see some that catch my eye.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never owned 1 but am increasingly tempted by 1. As a lover of plump bent Rhodesians, their bullmoose is really catching my eye. At first, thought it might be too plump for me but not so. It will now be #2 on my wish list which might take quite a while to get to given how long it will likely be before I get #1.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

@irish I too have been tempted by the rhodesian,so much so one is currently winging its way over the Atlantic to me.So I am interested in others thoughts on the pipes

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I scored a poker from them when I visited a few months ago.

I don't have any super high end stuff to compare with, but mine smokes as well as my Savinelli and Stanwell. I really like the more natural finish on it and the straight line carving.

I didn't think I would like the translucent, amber colored stem but it has grown on me.

My only criticism is that there was some sort of snag where the tenon and stem met inside. A pipe cleaner would go in smoothly and snag a bit when trying to retract. This eventually led to a collection of small pipe cleaner fluff balls lodging in the area and restricting the airflow.

I got in there with a straightened paper clip and cleared it out. I must have gotten whatever was snagging, as well, as the issue has ceased.

It's drilled straight and centered, fairly comfortable to clench, rarely gurgles and has good heat management for its size.

And, it's made in 'Merica...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Wanted to bump this thread to see what the current consensus is with this manufacturer. I have been checking out their site and a few of their designs have caught my eye. The pricing does seem to be approaching that of more “established” pipe makers and I am a bit unsure whether or not it’s worth the plunge.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just really don’t see what the apprehension would be. If you like the shape, I’m sure that it would burn well for you. Plus, they are very cheaply priced for what you get.

I don't own one, but then the shapes don’t really appeal to me. But, I have had their rep come talk to our pipe club, and I’ve been able to see the pipes in person. Seem like great pipes, if you like those shapes.

Their fans are little annoying, but it speaks volumes that they do have such an annoying ass fan base.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're constantly showing up in the Estate section of SP.com, in numbers, which give me pause on the brand. But at the price point, I may pull the plug one day to see why so many get rid of 'em.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Much like Leacha, I use availability of estates as a heuristic for quality of a pipe. But I was determined to get a Briarworks pipe early on, because I grew up near Nashville, and actually used to work and go to church in the town where their factory is currently located (Columbia, Tennessee).

I own one Briarworks pipe: a C61 sandblasted Dublin. I'm really happy with it. Like others have said, the stem is a little chunky (I'll be buying a saddle stem next time), but it's a good solid smoker, and I like their shaping in the classic collection.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. transpose

transpose

Login to Send PM

I have had their Billiard for 2 years and this November got a Prince. I like them both a lot! I’ve smoked my billiard a lot, and have around 5-6 smokes in my Prince so far. I’m actually smoking some old Stonehaven in it right now! To me, the Prince was made to “sip”. It almost has a churchwarden feel. No way is the bit chunky. It’s balanced great, draws great, and has what I think is the best curved bit lines in my collection. I always look forward to pulling this one off the rack.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. transpose

transpose

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

I agree, the lines on their prince are beautiful. It has been catching my eye for a while now. I'll buy one in a moment of weakness. The right one hasn't caught my eye yet.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own a couple of Briar Works pipes. I could not resist for a couple of reasons. First, the pipes were beautifully constructed an I loved the sandblast on both of them. I personally thought the smoking qualities were on a par with any top shelf pipe costing hundreds more. I did not notice any issue with too thick stems, but then, I'm not a clencher, and there was no issue there either. I personally believe that current production BriarWorks pipes are a diamond in the rough and would highly recommend one to anyone.

Pipestud
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a cutty from there a few months ago, and it's a solid smoke and good looker.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. transpose

transpose

Login to Send PM

I was fortunate enough to purchase mine from their factory south of Nashville. If you go in there when Pete is there and tell him a specific pipe that you are looking for, he’ll go in the back and bring out whatever they have. I had like 10 Princes to chose from.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

I am having trouble finding the prince on their site . Can someone post a link and if that’s not allowed can you DM me a link ?
    Thanks

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To what site do you refer? Please post a link to the site you mean.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

I was looking on the Briarworks website

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one I bought new on eBay, got a nice deal on it. The quality is superb but you have to understand the definition of quality first. The fit and finish are excellent, the drilling seems to be done perfectly.

It's a factory pipe. No reason it wouldn't be good. This one smokes reasonably well. Good enough to smoke on a reasonably regular basis. And it looks nice. It's not a high end Artisan pipe or a Castello but for the price, a great value IMHO. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if I saw something I liked.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

laniromee

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm one of those annoying Briarworks fans. That's because while I had owned very well established and highly regarded briars before, I was a harcore cob snob for years. It was an Icarus bent apple that truly converted me: one smoke out of that bowl and I understood.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

I think that Briarworks pipes are excellent. I own five of their pipes now and every single one of them smokes perfectly. The draw is fantastic, the bits are really comfortable, and they even seem to break in a little quicker than other briars. I've actually gotten to the point that I usually reach for one of my Briarworks pipes over my Castellos and Jaconos. Anyway, they are a great bang for your buck and I would definitely say to give one a try.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 months ago #
  24. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I have a morta cherrywood that they make for Steve Norse (Vermont Freehand) using his design. It's a very good pipe. I wish they would use some ebonite.

Non Serviam
    Posted 3 months ago #
  25. jmsmitty6

jmsmitty6

Login to Send PM

I think for the money, they are excellent value. I'd be inclined, at that price point to select one of their pipes over a Pete or Sav. Of course, esthetics play into that as well. Specifically, I am referring to their classic line of pipes. I have no experience with the Icarus or Neptune line.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking my pipe
    Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cossackjack, davidy97, dcon, canucklehead, hauntedmyst, tbradsim1, americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, npod