PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
So there I was browsing SP.com when I see that BriarWorks has a new line of pipes out...the Classic. Started snooping around a little more and this little Rhodesian caught my eye. I've been wanting to add a Rhodesian to the rack and when I saw how reasonably priced this one was I threw it in the cart and now it's on the way to my front door. It should arrive sometime next week and when it does I'll post a couple more pics and let you know how it smokes. Until then.....

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Second pipe introduction of the day? Love it, keep it up tomorrow as well. Very nice looking pipe.

Mar 1, 2014
If only these had come out in April (before the dental bills).

Sandblasted Pokers for $80! Count me in!
Soon enough.
In the meantime it would be awesome if someone could show us all a detailed analysis of the button, and the tenon (teflon insert), which I consider to be a large portion of what makes Briarworks special. But at this price point it's a good question what exactly they are or are not doing.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Second pipe introduction of the day? Love it, keep it up tomorrow as well. Very nice looking pipe.
Wifey is very accepting of this hobby of mine but to introduce another new pipe tomorrow would be pushing my luck for sure especially when a the Bulldog and two tobacco orders all arrived at the same time yesterday. :)
In the meantime it would be awesome if someone could show us all a detailed analysis of the button, and the tenon (teflon insert), which I consider to be a large portion of what makes Briarworks special.
I will break it down and post some pics of the button and tenon when it shows up. The price point on these pipes sure is nice as long as the quality is there. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Here's a photo update of this nice little BW Rhodesian that showed up in the mail yesterday. A good looking pipe and the craftsmanship is spot on in my opinion. It's drilled straight and true and the fit and finish is excellent, a true value at $80 in my humble opinion. I haven't smoked it yet but I have a flake of PS LTF rubbed out and drying as I speak. Won't be long now. :puffy:
frozenchurchwarden here's a few pics of the pipe and the tenon/mortise and button. My photo skills aren't superb but hopefully you'll see what your looking for. :)

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
It looks great Jkrug, I love the idea of their pipes and have almost pulled the trigger before but all the pipes have that little ring at the stem. I know it is a small thing but I just cant get past it. I have never heard anything bad about the smoking properties, exactly the opposite. Can't wait to hear how it smokes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My take, too, Michael. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to replace it with brass or silver of equal width but flush with the stem and shank. ASSuming the two are flush to begin with!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
all the pipes have that little ring at the stem. I know it is a small thing but I just cant get past it.
I found that some of the rings are done in odd colours that don't match or compliment the pipe. On this pipe I found that the ring colour suited the dark colour and accented the pipe nicely. :)
I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to replace it with brass or silver of equal width but flush with the stem and shank. ASSuming the two are flush to begin with!
I didn't measure but the two do seem to be the same diameter.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
This was the one I really wanted but I couldn't get over the little ring or the smokingpipes.com stamp on the bottom of the bamboo.

002-681-0203.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I would agree that the ring does not compliment that particular pipe. I don't think I'd care for the SP logo either. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for the pictures.
The geometry on the tenon and mortise looks the same, so that's good, but I can't tell if the tenon is made of Teflon or not. It's obvious when the stem is a different color but harder to see when they're both black.
The cut-out in the button is the same as most of the Icarus pipes, as expected, and not the deeper slot that you get with Neptune.

Though I'm not entirely sure if that's actually a brand separation or just a price separation (Neptune pipes generally carry a higher price tag).
The big question with the slot is whether there is overlap between the slot and the round drilling of the airway. It's only a slight difference in execution but is the reason some pipes are restricted at the button and some not.

I won't ask for pictures (I've tried taking pictures of the inside of a button and I know it's frustrating) but I can't think of any reason these wouldn't be drilled the same as the rest of the pipes made by Briarworks.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I suspected that sooner or later, I'll own a BriarWorks pipe. Have to wait until the next pay period before buying anything else.
OP, please let us know how it smokes.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I'm sure glad to see this thread! Great info, and thanks for the pictures too.
This morning I pulled the trigger on two pipes from the Classic lineup, after reading about Briarworks at their main business website. I opted for two bent billiards with military mount/metal shank caps. One is a light color sandblast (will be Virginia dedicated), the other a black corduroy finish (for Lata kia blends.)
Excited as hell for Monday's mail delivery!
Everything I have read indicates that these oughtta be a great value. I had been eyeballing a Pete 302 system pipe for a while, and while I love that shape, I expect the engineering and overall quality of these two Briarworks pipes to be much better overall (for less money!) I still might snag a new Pete, but I may just end up too busy enjoying these two...
Two identical military mounted pipes, except for the finish, seemed cool. Will be interesting to see how different blends fare in the exact same chamber dimensions. I figure its like a night and day set.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I suspected that sooner or later, I'll own a BriarWorks pipe. Have to wait until the next pay period before buying anything else.
This won't be my last BriarWorks pipe for sure. I've had my eye on a Neptune long strawberry for some time now and their Lovat has also caught my eye. When the time is right they will end up in the pipe rack for sure.
OP, please let us know how it smokes.
I will keep you posted once I've run a few bowls through it.
This morning I pulled the trigger on two pipes from the Classic lineup, after reading about Briarworks at their main business website. I opted for two bent billiards with military mount/metal shank caps. One is a light color sandblast (will be Virginia dedicated), the other a black corduroy finish (for Latakia blends.)
Sounds good ravenwolf. Be sure to post up some pics when they arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.