PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I wish this was an announcement to say that Briar Pipe Wipe was back. It's not. I'm soooo close to being done with my last can of the "good stuff," and am now starting to panic. I've always used this according to their instructions, and wipe down every pipe (briar and stem) after smoking, and it makes for a great once over before putting the pipes back on the shelf...but this is about to end.
Can anyone recommend something that works great, that they've been using since Briar Pipe Wipe disappeared?
I've already got a Dunhill Silicone Pipe Care Cloth, and that doesn't seem to do much of anything.
I tried Pledge on a rag instead of the pipe wipe, and for anyone thinking about trying this, it was NOT a good idea. It took the luster off the briar (tried it on a couple of pipes). They looked shiny at first, but that quickly faded to a matte or satin finish. When I then smoked one of these pipes, I could swear the pipe was giving off a slightly foul lemony odor.
Searching the web fails to give me any other ideas. Are we all just screwed since Arango stopped making this product, or is there something else that's a good, easy, and simple way to give our pipes a quick once over (briar and stem) after smoking?

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I find the Brebbia "pipe and mouthpiece polish" good. It also shines up silver ferrules better than metal polish! A little expensive though and only a small tube.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It’s been said by many, and I also believe that Briar Pipe Wipe is re-labeled Favor brand polish. I have a couple of cans of Briar Pipe Wipe left but, once gone, will use Favor on a soft cloth.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just run hot water over the stem and stummel, then dry/buff with a cotton towel, giving it a low gloss shine. Every now and then I will apply Paragon and micro fibre polish it. Even less often due to distance, I'll take a few to my tobacconist for carnauba buffing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
ron123, surprised you had that experience with Pledge. Have used it for years on bowls and stems and never an odor or taste of lemon or anything else non-pipey. I use it after every use and it does a fairly remarkable job of reducing oxidation and shining up pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have found that the Dunhill cloth works just fine if you are going to use some elbow grease. I also have a Briar Wipe can that has maybe 2 -3 sprays left in it. I did like it better than the cloth as it was just easier. The spray was also much better for my sandblasted pipes as those take a lot of rubbing with the cloth to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.