PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

benpipesmoking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2017
I think the idea of them needing/wanting donations in the first place to set up their own business was a very bad idea, if I remember correctly it was frowned upon in the community of carvers. I think Nate is a good guy, but asking for donations to start your own business is a tacky move.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Most business begin with other peoples money, whether it's begged, borrowed, stolen, etc...

Private equity is at the root of progress and capitalism. No shame in it. Social media has has replaced, in some respects, the need for the tedious wining and dining, hookers an blow, and boardrooms packed with lawyers. Or whatever your local equivalent is. I'm all for it.
Edit: Too bad about briarlabs, on the other hand did anyone ever do any business with them?

Does anyone know what the reason was?

Yes, Bigpond is correct. Most businesses have to start with begging banks, or making big promises on golf courses. Asking for funding on social media is just an extension of that.
BTW, has anyone heard from that bunch of hipsters that had us all donate money to fund their pipe smoking movie, Father the Flame? It's been what, 5 years now?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
BTW, has anyone heard from that bunch of hipsters that had us all donate money to fund their pipe smoking movie, Father the Flame? It's been what, 5 years now?
According to their website, as of April 2016, after 5 years, they had a whopping 30 minutes of footage that they showed at the Chicago pipe show. That is the last update they gave.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
They are planning on a premiere at Chicago this year according to their FB page. Scroll down a bit and you can see a teaser.
https://www.facebook.com/FatherTheFlame/?ref=ts&fref=ts

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Dagners, that sounds familiar. Oh wait, those are the Youtubers that flamed our forum in a video over nothing, ha ha. Yeh, those guys are making the movie? Egads, I am going to be less generous to these artsy types.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not Cosmic, but in the interest of preventing crazy rumors:

Dagners Father of the Flame People
Actually, aside from being bearded and both being related to pipes in different ways, they have pretty much nothing in common.
Seriously, on FotF, they're getting close. We've been talking to them regularly. Yes, this has been a long time in coming, but it takes a long time to put together a well-made feature-length documentary on a small budget.
Sykes

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
To bad about Briar Lab but I suspect renting manufacturing space in an industrial park is pretty expensive.
Dagners, that sounds familiar.

It's not the Dagners project, it's the Beardcore group of hipsters from Michigan. 8O

Ahhh, thanks. I would have been upset if I had of inadvertently given the Dagners money. But, of course someone from here is going to tell those guys (greatly exagerating what was said), and they'll bash us in another video, and then 300 new forum members will show up because of the free press, ha ha. The Circle of life!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The whole premise of Briar Lab was kind of a crowd funded open community where pipemakers could join up to learn and use equipment. People do this with Maker Sheds all the time. There are always inherent issues with the "business" model, and it has to be that way since they sure weren't going to get a gov't grant to get funded!
Rumor has it that one of the two co founders decided to "leave", making it unfeasible for the one left to continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.