PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm just starting to play around with this blend. It has a great dry cocoa tin note. So far I've found the first third of the bowl to be flat and boring, but it picks up steam nicely. The sugars in the Virginia become noticeable, and I think that sweetness helps to pull out the nuttiness of the burley. Unfortunately I never get that dry cocoa flavor in the smoke. Pairs great with bourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've always enjoyed this one. I get more of the blends flavor in a cob. Good stuff!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Man this blend to me had so much potential mainly the name and a song of the south shoutout. But sadly this blend hasn't given me a wow factor. I have had it for a little

Over a year and it still to me is very plain.....in a cob chasing....now maybe that will be my next step for this one whenever I get a chance to smoke it again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a sample of this one with other blends. It never got started for me. I kept imagining that it was opening out a little, but it remained way too mild and bland for my tastes. I think the sample gave me about three bowls, but none improved for me. This was a surprise because most C&D blends really interest me. Taste is individual, and this one isn't my thing.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm with Cosmic, the larger bowl helps Briar Fox out. But I found this only with Briar pipes. In a cob it performs flawlessly every time from a Morgan to a McArthur. The Smaller briar mutes the flavor a bit. I've had this happen in reverse, where H&H Larry's Blend in a large briar tasted like hot air, but in a smaller Briar it was just right.
Briar Fox is a solid blend. Absolutely love the stuff.

Sep 18, 2015
Briar Fox is what got me interested in Burley's, I was having a difficult time with a Nording freehand and the guy at the pipe shop recommended this to try. I have to agree with what others have stated, it definitely needs a large chamber to bring out the flavor, it is the perfect match for the Nording and with a tall narrow chamber I don't get much taste until about the finial third of the bowl. I have smoked through a 50g tin and liked it enough that I bought the 227g can. If I had the luxury of being able to smoke all day this would be a contender.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I agree with a lot that's been posted. My best results were in bigger pipes, particularly a MM Mark Twain. For my own taste preferences I wish it were a touch sweeter, and I think that's why I liked it so much with the bourbon.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
This is one that when I first tried it years ago, I was not impressed. I gave my little block away.
Fast forward to a month ago, and I had the pleasure of sampling some again. Next day I ordered a lb. Good stuff.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I thought I'd share my first C&D blend ever. I'm really looking forward to it. Briarfox it is, my first crumble cake cut. It looks tasty and smells nice, it seems to have a perfect moisture to smoke it from the tin but since I prefer really dried tobacco I will let it "breath" for a while. I sliced the cube in half and jarred it so I can smoke it after some months or maybe even later. The other half is about to turn into ashes in next days. :)
X8SiUGW.jpg

I couldn't decide if I should open this one or Billy Budd first but I assume Billy won't disappoint in any way (if there's any truth in reviews) so it can wait a little longer and improve a potentially bad first impression of C&D.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
After the first bowl in a corncob it seems smooth, somewhat tasty but nothing special. I remember that taste from Old Dublin and Scotch Cut Mixture. It says there are virginias and burley, what are those dark leaves? It isn't cavendish, is it?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a stash of Briar Fox that I enjoy from time to time. For me it's the perfect moisture right out of the tin.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I haven’t smoked any since I first started this thread. I’ll have to give it another try after 2 years of age

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Is this the companion blend to Br'er Rabbit??

You guys always get me with your not-so-easy-to-recognise humor.

Yeah, looks like this blend is somehow connected to the Br'er Rabbit. :lol:

I see there will be a lot of fun with decoding C&D's blends and learning something new about your culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.