PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Has this ever happened to you? I just finished deep cleaning my entire pipe collection(89 and still growing). Now for some strange reason I don't want to smoke any of my briar pipes. For the past week the only pipes I seem to reach for are my meerschaums. Normally I reach for one of my pipes at random and continue that way until I've smoked all of them. Now I seem to have a mild case of briar avoidance. Should I up my meds or will a couple bowls of Penzance put me on the road to recovery? :lol:

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Off all briars.... Send to Lazy Dog, Bisbee Arizona....You are suffering from acute briaritis, there is no cure. It is rare, but you will never handle briar again. Futile to even attempt a comeback.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
After all that work deep cleaning a lot of briars, maybe you're not in a hurry to dirty them up right away.

Anyway, they will probably benefit from not being smoked for a while -- especially if you used alcohol to do the cleaning.

It's not that the alcohol hasn't already evaporated, but that it is hygroscopic, and a certain dampness may persist (in the stem).

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's like this...
Just smoke the bejesus out of one or two pipes for a while. See what happens. You're entering a mid-pipe crisis. Ride the wave. do different for a while.
I don't think I'd like my smoking rotation to get to 89 pipes... you sir are outrageous.
Small rotation, with the occasional special event pipe, and then some pipes that are so freaking beautiful that they will only be smoked at weddings or funerals. lol

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
89 pipes is no longer a rotation. I know because Im up to 150 pipes. But it is fun and there isn't a pipe that is not cherished. This volume of pipes may seem absurd to some, but it does work... I group about 10 pipes for the week and then go on to another grouping.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
89 pipes is no longer a rotation
Sure it is.I usually smoke between 4-5 each day so I get through between 28 to 30 pipes each week. I finish off my rotation in about 3 weeks give or take a few days. Now 150 sounds like a nice round number. Hmmmmmm PAD strikes again. Dang you lazydog. :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mate, I am going to offer my assistance. I don't do this often but.... You Sir, have contracted a very rare disease. It is called Briarpipecondolileatus! It can be contagous if not handled correctly. You send me a fine Dunhill, and or a few other similiar pipes and I will have them tested for you. I think, that in a Month or so, I can probably get the Germs out of them, at great risk to myself. However, I am willing to take this chance for you. During this time, you concentrate on your Meers and maybe a Cob or two, and go see your Doctor. Tell him what I said, and that I am willing to help. I will let you know the prognosis as the testing continues.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I feel a responsibility to my pipe breathern so I will assist nsfisher in his endevor to cast the demons out of your briar. However it will in fact take several months, and there may be some we cannot save. Therefore some of the nicer Dunhills may not be able to be returned to you lest they infect the rest of the pipes you have. We sir are willing to make a serious sacrifice for our briar brother.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am guilty of letting my high end briars sit on the shelf a lot, and gaze at them while smoking a cob or a meer, but my Pete's and Sav's and Edwards are always at hand, I am glad I only have 75 pipes, so I still have a rotation, lol. My Storient Meer is my new favorite, however. At least until I get my next pipe, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.