PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
So in my city, there are a few cigar lounges that don't allow pipe smoking for various reasons. Has anyone tried to smoke a briar cigar in one of the establishments with success?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a funny idea. I doubt it would work, since proprietors watch their customers like hawks. The cash flow relies on selling the customer a $5 to $30 cigar, or more if possible, and allowing them to enjoy it on the premises. I think even bringing your own cigar not purchased there would be discouraged. Most of these shops are run on a pretty thin margin, so pipes and briar cigars and such look like shoplifting to the owner. Since even pipe shops in malls can't allow smoking, I mostly don't even try to smoke away from home unless outdoors. Many parks discourage smoking too. Campuses. Office buildings. Retail. Such is life. If I were a cigar guy, I'm not sure I'd want to smoke at cigar shops, since they invite folks with exhibitionistic tendencies, who want to puff and flourish the stogy, and loud bragging soon ensues. The loudest mouth always talks the longest and does not open any silences for others, and usually that doesn't interest me. If I could hear Samuel Clemens or Bernard Baruch holding forth, I go buy a cigar and enjoy the show.

We have a couple of really swank cigar bars, one within walking distance of my house... but, when I buy a fistful of nice sticks for about $100, they don't care whether I light up my pipe or take my shoes off and trim my toenails. ha ha!!
The problem is that most cigar places think of pipes as being vanilla or cherry smelling, so they throw up their noses at first. But, now they know my pipes all burn Virginias and premium burleys, so they don't bawk... as long as I buy cigars. They probably wouldn't like it if I just brought my own cheap cigars to smoke there either. They have to pay the rent. :puffy:

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Bouwser it’s a Michigan law thing. My local guy told me since nobody really knows the law (and I buy product from him) I can smoke in his shop. I didn’t look it up cause that works for me ;-)

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
From what I understand (and I may be wrong), there is a smoking exemption for cigars at some bars. This then does not include pipes and other lit tobaccos. I'm just not a huge cigar smoker, but would love to enjoy something in a pipe.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Trudger, that is what I thought. What is your local shop? I may want to stop in sometime when I'm on the east side.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Ok I looked it up. This applies to our conversation.
No one under 18 years old is allowed admittance into the cigar bar.

• Cigars must retail for over $1 per cigar.

• Smoking other tobacco products in the cigar bar is prohibited.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
No one under 18 years old is allowed admittance into the cigar bar.

• Cigars must retail for over $1 per cigar.

• Smoking other tobacco products in the cigar bar is prohibited.
Thank for looking it up. I guess that answers the question. It is unfortunate that I can't enjoy some other tobacco. But oh well. I'm sure I could always try some sticks that might fit my fancy.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Smokey’s on the famous Woodward Avenue and Square Lake Rd.
You can buy some tobacco from the Jersey Isles there and smoke what you brought. Of course you’ll want me there to break the ice and all

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rules should all be posted on the front door. They won't be because this would put off customers, because people don't like to go somewhere to relax when they are hit with yet more instructions and statutes. But the awareness of the rules that soon surfaces sends me home before I show up. That's not where I want to relax and invite the spirit. Sorry.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Every cigar bar I've ever been in allows pipe smoking. Every cigar bar I've been into serves alcohol. So if you're sitting there sucking down their high priced alcohol, they don't much care what you smoke. Cosmic, I didn't buy any cigars from the place across the street from you and smoked my pipe there two nights while visiting last. But I did buy a few beers and something to eat.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I suppose it never hurts to ask after purchasing something first.
or. . .
its better to ask forgiveness than permission?
No clue. . .
At the end of the day, I think I'm just a bit stir crazy from being inside for two weeks because of winter. I'm looking for an excuse to smoke a pipe and drink a beer in some place other than my garage.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
My regular cigar lounge is very anti pipe smoking. They won’t let me smoke a pipe at all. I thought about the cigar briar pipe, but I ended up using my miniature Castello instead. I have to sit in the back and sneak it.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
...Smokey’s on the famous Woodward Avenue and Square Lake Rd.
You can buy some tobacco from the Jersey Isles there and smoke what you brought. Of course you’ll want me there to break the ice and all...
Hey trudger, I’ll take you up on that some time in the near future. I’ll PM you. I’m new to Michigan.
BTW, my cigar club up the street allows pipe smoking if you buy the tobacco there. Maybe they’re ignoring the law so I won’t say the township or name.

Cosmic, I didn't buy any cigars from the place across the street from you and smoked my pipe there two nights while visiting last.

I picked up a couple that night, but I’ve been a few time since with Mrs. Cosmic, and just felt bad for smoking without making a cigar purchase. She has become quite the cigar aficionado of the lighter shade leaf. I even have half my humidor full of her cigars now. She’s even becomes a sort of cigar “bad boy” now when we go, punking the newbies and backslapping. It’s kind of cool. She won’t let me go by myself now, since she knows there are women there... shopping the cigar guys. Ha ha!

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
That whole 'can't smoke pipes in a cigar bar' is actual Michigan state law. Cigar bars put their license to operate as such at real risk if they don't enforce.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My regular cigar lounge is very anti pipe smoking. They won’t let me smoke a pipe at all. I thought about the cigar briar pipe, but I ended up using my miniature Castello instead. I have to sit in the back and sneak it.
Neal, do,they specify why? It’s a point of contention when I see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.