Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Briar Cigar in a Cigar Lounge

(40 posts)
  1. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

So in my city, there are a few cigar lounges that don't allow pipe smoking for various reasons. Has anyone tried to smoke a briar cigar in one of the establishments with success?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

No, but I'm very curious what their reasons for not allowing pipe smoking are.

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a funny idea. I doubt it would work, since proprietors watch their customers like hawks. The cash flow relies on selling the customer a $5 to $30 cigar, or more if possible, and allowing them to enjoy it on the premises. I think even bringing your own cigar not purchased there would be discouraged. Most of these shops are run on a pretty thin margin, so pipes and briar cigars and such look like shoplifting to the owner. Since even pipe shops in malls can't allow smoking, I mostly don't even try to smoke away from home unless outdoors. Many parks discourage smoking too. Campuses. Office buildings. Retail. Such is life. If I were a cigar guy, I'm not sure I'd want to smoke at cigar shops, since they invite folks with exhibitionistic tendencies, who want to puff and flourish the stogy, and loud bragging soon ensues. The loudest mouth always talks the longest and does not open any silences for others, and usually that doesn't interest me. If I could hear Samuel Clemens or Bernard Baruch holding forth, I go buy a cigar and enjoy the show.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a couple of really swank cigar bars, one within walking distance of my house... but, when I buy a fistful of nice sticks for about $100, they don't care whether I light up my pipe or take my shoes off and trim my toenails. ha ha!!

The problem is that most cigar places think of pipes as being vanilla or cherry smelling, so they throw up their noses at first. But, now they know my pipes all burn Virginias and premium burleys, so they don't bawk... as long as I buy cigars. They probably wouldn't like it if I just brought my own cheap cigars to smoke there either. They have to pay the rent.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Bouwser it’s a Michigan law thing. My local guy told me since nobody really knows the law (and I buy product from him) I can smoke in his shop. I didn’t look it up cause that works for me

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

From what I understand (and I may be wrong), there is a smoking exemption for cigars at some bars. This then does not include pipes and other lit tobaccos. I'm just not a huge cigar smoker, but would love to enjoy something in a pipe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

Trudger, that is what I thought. What is your local shop? I may want to stop in sometime when I'm on the east side.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Ok I looked it up. This applies to our conversation.

No one under 18 years old is allowed admittance into the cigar bar.
    • Cigars must retail for over $1 per cigar.
    • Smoking other tobacco products in the cigar bar is prohibited.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

No one under 18 years old is allowed admittance into the cigar bar.
    • Cigars must retail for over $1 per cigar.
    • Smoking other tobacco products in the cigar bar is prohibited.

Thank for looking it up. I guess that answers the question. It is unfortunate that I can't enjoy some other tobacco. But oh well. I'm sure I could always try some sticks that might fit my fancy.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Smokey’s on the famous Woodward Avenue and Square Lake Rd.

You can buy some tobacco from the Jersey Isles there and smoke what you brought. Of course you’ll want me there to break the ice and all

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The rules should all be posted on the front door. They won't be because this would put off customers, because people don't like to go somewhere to relax when they are hit with yet more instructions and statutes. But the awareness of the rules that soon surfaces sends me home before I show up. That's not where I want to relax and invite the spirit. Sorry.

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every cigar bar I've ever been in allows pipe smoking. Every cigar bar I've been into serves alcohol. So if you're sitting there sucking down their high priced alcohol, they don't much care what you smoke. Cosmic, I didn't buy any cigars from the place across the street from you and smoked my pipe there two nights while visiting last. But I did buy a few beers and something to eat.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

I suppose it never hurts to ask after purchasing something first.

or. . .

its better to ask forgiveness than permission?

No clue. . .

At the end of the day, I think I'm just a bit stir crazy from being inside for two weeks because of winter. I'm looking for an excuse to smoke a pipe and drink a beer in some place other than my garage.

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My regular cigar lounge is very anti pipe smoking. They won’t let me smoke a pipe at all. I thought about the cigar briar pipe, but I ended up using my miniature Castello instead. I have to sit in the back and sneak it.

Neal
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet some of them would let you smoke your pipe if you bought a cigar first and asked politely.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

...Smokey’s on the famous Woodward Avenue and Square Lake Rd.

You can buy some tobacco from the Jersey Isles there and smoke what you brought. Of course you’ll want me there to break the ice and all...

Hey trudger, I’ll take you up on that some time in the near future. I’ll PM you. I’m new to Michigan.

BTW, my cigar club up the street allows pipe smoking if you buy the tobacco there. Maybe they’re ignoring the law so I won’t say the township or name.

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I didn't buy any cigars from the place across the street from you and smoked my pipe there two nights while visiting last.

I picked up a couple that night, but I’ve been a few time since with Mrs. Cosmic, and just felt bad for smoking without making a cigar purchase. She has become quite the cigar aficionado of the lighter shade leaf. I even have half my humidor full of her cigars now. She’s even becomes a sort of cigar “bad boy” now when we go, punking the newbies and backslapping. It’s kind of cool. She won’t let me go by myself now, since she knows there are women there... shopping the cigar guys. Ha ha!

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That whole 'can't smoke pipes in a cigar bar' is actual Michigan state law. Cigar bars put their license to operate as such at real risk if they don't enforce.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I occasionally enjoy chopping up a Madura and putting it in my pipe. I’d love to challenge one of these places if they wanted to criticize how I smoke the cigar.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My regular cigar lounge is very anti pipe smoking. They won’t let me smoke a pipe at all. I thought about the cigar briar pipe, but I ended up using my miniature Castello instead. I have to sit in the back and sneak it.

Neal, do,they specify why? It’s a point of contention when I see that.

Jason
    Posted 6 months ago #
  21. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I don't think briar cigar should be allowed anywhere! ( Just kidding. The only time I've ever been questioned about my pipe at a cigar place was in Tallinn (Estonia) called the Oak Lounge. The nice girl working the register just wanted to know what I was smoking (Sterling Flake). She smelled it and said no problem. There were 4 or 5 guys around a small table that invited me to sit with them and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at a cigar shop. The guys around the table were all expats from India, Italy, and Finland living in Tallinn. I'm also a reformed heavy cigar smoker so I picked went back the next day and picked up a few boxes of Edmundos and a box of Half Coronas as they didn't carry any pipe tobacco. Oddly enough, there is another cigar establishment more or less across the square that does have some pipes and tobacco, but my experience there was the exact opposite of the Oak Lounge. When I asked if I could look at some pipes, the "gentleman" asked if it was just to look or to buy. I said things I'm not proud of and that's how I ended up at the other place!

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Doctorbob is right on. Michigan gave exemptions to the smoking ban only to cigar shops that were operating before 2010. These exemptions are transferable (for sale) like a liquor license. To loose it would be stupid beyond reason over a pipe smoker. I forget the whole world reads this forum

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, do,they specify why? It’s a point of contention when I see that.

Nah. The owner just doesn’t want pipe smoking. That’s fine, I buy plenty of cigars there anyway. You probably know the place I’m talking about in ATL.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, good thing it's up there. I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

Posted 6 months ago #
  25. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Well it is a "Cigar" Lounge. Wanna see a noodle swingin' in a knocker bar?

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 6 months ago #
  26. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aside from the places where the law stipulates it must be cigars (which is absurd) I think the obvious reason is because there's much more profit for the establishment in cigar smoking than in pipe smoking.

They're probably afraid pipe smoking might catch on with too large a portion of the clientele.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  27. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Greta and I walked into a cigar bar that also served wine- their reason was they were afraid the pipe smoke would ghost their cigars. They got an eye roll, sold one glass of crappy wine to each of us...and we ghosted them- never to set foot in the place again.

Posted 6 months ago #
  28. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@brian64

Yeah that is indeed a factor. I’ve talked with the owner at length about this topic and I’m fascinated by the business models of tobacco in general and lounges specifically. Their margins are razor thin. Top line revenue is driven almost entirely by cigar sales. Accessories are a drag. So they focus mainly on the volume of sticks and pipe smokers smokers don’t spend much money.

But there is another lounge in the rural suburbs where I work that does allow both pipes and cigars and I go there sometimes. Jason Vorhees and I have smoked pipes there together. I always buy a cigar each visit, even if I’m smoking my pipe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  29. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m just saying if they sell cigars and pipe tobacco they’re usually accepting. I do hate to feel I’m intruding on cigars lounges, so I wont go there.

Posted 6 months ago #
  30. bouwser

bouwser

Login to Send PM

Very interesting conversation. I think the safe thing to do is continue to go to my B&M lounge than risk pissing someone off at a cigar lounge. I'm just happy that I do have a place to go when need be. Like I said previously, I don't actually need the drink to go with my pipe, but it is pleasant sometimes and is rare in this cold weather. Once it warms up, I'll be singing the praises of having a deck that looks off into the woods.

Posted 6 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Well, I thought they allowed it because they sell the stuff there. Never seen anyone smoking a pipe. I’m probably mistaken about it.

Posted 6 months ago #
  32. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Michigan the only tobacco product that can be smoked in a cigar bar are cigars. I suspect that was done so that cigarette smokers wouldn’t flock to them after the smoking ban for bars and restaurants went into effect. Pipe smoking is allowed in “tobacco specialty shops,” so that’s up to the individual B&M.

Posted 6 months ago #
  33. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The places I've been in that don't allow pipes say it is because the cigar smokers complain about the smell of pipe smoke. I find that a little hard to believe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  34. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you walked in and bought a cigar, and then sat down with your pipe, I'm pretty sure there would be less of an issue. Dust off the wallet and buy a stick or two from the shop owner. It's a quid pro quo.

Posted 6 months ago #
  35. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

If you walked in and bought a cigar, and then sat down with your pipe, I'm pretty sure there would be less of an issue.
    That's how I see it. Another way to look at it is, would you walk into a restaurant with a brown bag lunch, and expect to be able to eat it there?

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wanna see a noodle swingin' in a knocker bar?

Posted 6 months ago #
  37. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Thanks Kizzose, Smokey’s isn’t a bar so that makes sense. I do spend my money there, guess that’s why they put up with me. I always thought it was my witty personality.

Posted 6 months ago #
  38. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

Here in lovely Memphis TN, 1.2 million people and 0 pipe shops. One small Tinder Box in a strip mall that has a few pipe tobaccos in jars, couple of tins in the humidor, but is really all about cigars. They allow cigar and pipe smoking. But the small “smoking bar” is quite disgusting in smell. Some were eating Little Ceasar’s pizza (next to them in the strip mall) and I could not even smell it, my clothes reeked for hours. I can’t imagine anyone could tell what was in their pipe! So, besides already being antisocial, I resign to solitary garage smoking, space heater with a fake “flame” light, and all is right in my world! The missus serves real drinks too, which always helps!

Posted 6 months ago #
  39. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

We do actually have more “glass pipe” stores than churches or Walgreens. And weed isn’t even legal yet. Other than the DA publicly announcing that they will not prosecute any weed possession less than 2oz!

Posted 6 months ago #
  40. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Greta and I walked into a cigar bar that also served wine- their reason was they were afraid the pipe smoke would ghost their cigars.

The cigars inside the humidor or what?

Javan
    Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, seldom, the85boro, orlandofurioso, p40warhawk, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg, voorhees, civilwar, generalzod, didimauw, curl