Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Briar Carved Facial or Animal Pipes

(8 posts)
  1. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is the deal with these carved briar pipes I see around? I see lots of animals, some facial or figure styles and even some that look like a football. Are these just gimmicks or is there something I am missing with these?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have hesitated to buy a Meer that is carved into a face or animal shape, even though I kinda like them. I just don't see me walking around smoking a pipe with a monkey(or any other) face on it in public.

Carved briar in the same vein is just not my cup of tea. I suppose, like anything else, there is a market out there and someone must be buying them...

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see anyone walking around with such. They are for sitting, and in the privacy of one's drawing room!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one. It doesn't get out much but was very well done. I will post a pic when I get home.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome shaintiques. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not a briar, but I have a CAO Cavalier Meerschaum which was a Christmas Present in 1984 and I still smoke it every now and then. I was sitting outside with it the other day and my 1 year old granddaughter came out. She has seen me smoke a pipe outside and is fascinated by the smoke but this time she just stopped and didn't know what to make of the pipe I was smoking.

One of my sons has this Elephant pipe. He says it smokes ok but he's more of a Nording freehand fan.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. My Devil Dog.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember seeing pipes carved into figures and things at souvenir shops as a kid; Mexico, Miami, Bahamas, etc... I don't think all of them were meant to be sold as souvenirs, but at least some of them probably were meant for tourists.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, cdmjr, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia