PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im itching to get my self this pipe as a christmas gift. Does anyone have experience with the reverse calabash? Does it get a cooler smoke?

What other alternatives is it out there?
http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=7650#.VIp6qXvTZwQ

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
7650_m.jpg
7650c_m.jpg

Wow! Pretty unusual idea! You might find G.L. Pease's article interesting: The NeatPipes/Radice AeroBilliard

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Wow! Pretty unusual idea! You might find G.L. Pease's article interesting:
Thanks for the link. Yeah, its an unusual idea, I was looking at some much cheaper estate pipes...... ;)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I saw one like that when I first started looking at reverse calabashes and thought the clear chamber would look really cool but I wonder how it would stand up over time? Would the clear plastic start to color over time due to smoke, and you would have to clean it really well to keep it look good.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ That was exactly what I thougt as well. Get a glass lens for the window and it would aid a LOT in keeping it clean with now pitting, etc.
I like reverse calabash asthetics. There was one on a sponsers site here that looked amazing. I will try to find it and post it.

May 31, 2012
I came across something similar a while back,

by a Chinese carver named Ping Zhan,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/crazy-cool-seethru-reverse-calabash-design
I think it's a neat idea, but the condensation kind of defeats the seethru aspect,

very cool though!
There are alotta variations on the reverse calabash out there,

you have a ton of different options!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I've always like P.Zhans clear shank. I have a few reverse calabashes and Pings pipe is one that turned me on to inverted/reverse calabash.
Grant Batson and Zach Hamrics snapping turtle are a couple on my list for reverse calabashes that you guys should check out also.
Grant Batson - not sure if this one is reverse calabash but a lot RCs made by him have a similiar design.

[url='http://i.imgur.com/KEjIsNZ' t=_self]
KEjIsNZ.jpg'
[/url]
Another thing to check out with the reverse calabash is the smoke tumbler that some artisans are putting into them.

[url='http://i.imgur.com/du0BjiT' t=_self]
du0BjiT.jpg'
[/url]

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I have kind of abandon that pipe now, to much hazzle keeping it clean. But I like the design. Ive ordered another reverse calabash, without the clear chamber. Just had to try one

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
To be honest I never had much trouble cleaning them. It's about the amount of effort with a regular pipe but I can understand feeling that way.
The Radice RCs come with a tool just for cleaning that chamber. It's pretty much a tamper with a slit in the middle but its nice to have and works. Most of the time I just use a paper towel.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
To be honest I never had much trouble cleaning them. It's about the amount of effort with a regular pipe but I can understand feeling that way.
The Radice RCs come with a tool just for cleaning that chamber. It's pretty much a tamper with a slit in the middle but its nice to have and works. Most of the time I just use a paper towel.
It also came down to the cost really, but the Radice RC im aslo interested in. I take it you are happy with yours? Does it smoke cooler? any difference in taste compared to other pipes?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I made a reverse calabash using a carbon fiber tube for the shank- an interesting look with the woven carbon fiber on the outside...I have made and smoked several variations- they tend to be good smokers....

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Zach, I would love to see pictures of that carbon fibered reverse calabash. Besides the way it must look it just has a nice ring to it, lol.
@geirove - I definetly love my RCs. They are great smokers and they do what they are designed to in providing a cool smoke. But with any calabash system, whether gourd or reverse, a lot of people report some flavors become muted. Some blends don't taste different but for me most do. So I tend to smoke blends I like to tone down. Most of the time I will receive a different experience, than smoking the same blend in a regular pipe. For example I smoked a latakia blend and found it to be one dimensional with the latakia being to overpowering. I tried it again in a RC and got a very different and balanced smoke. As always YMMV.

Let us know how you like yours when you get it. I look forward to your take on it.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Ive had it allmost a week now,and my first impression is that it works very well,it really provide a cool smoke. But, it really mute flavours. Its maybe not to justified to compare it allready,cause its still breaking in. But I have compared Orlik golden slice, Mississippi River and Dunhill nightcap, with a Falcon pipe, wich I find a very stable smoker. At least MR I think smoked best in the Falcon pipe, it was a more tasty smoke. Nightcap did taste better in the calabash, but that tobacco i really didnt enjoy that much when i first tried it in my Falcon.
I dont have much Latakia laying around, but I got a tin of Peterson`s Old Dublin laying around. Maybe try that one?

jcochey

Lurker
Dec 27, 2014
Hey Geirove, yeah those clear chambers can definitely get a little nasty. I just offer a new chamber when they get bad with those style pipes at no cost when the client needs one.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Hey Jason, how ya doin brother! Been thinkin about you . Maybe something with a Cumberland stem...(Dave)

jcochey

Lurker
Dec 27, 2014
Dave, great to see you're still on here! It's been a while. I missed the pipe related discussion :) all is well here my friend. How are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.