PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Picked this up from Premal from Smokers' Haven via his ebay account for a definite steal. It is a little Briar Bird Dublin nosewarmer he nicknamed the "Mako" because of the blue ebonite brindle stem and 3 gill slits he notched into the left side of the shank of the pipe. I think it is a unique and cool little pipe, although i could see how some could be turned of by some of its features, as it is a somewhat strange spinoff of a classic shape. It also has a diamond shape, which i also like and i think it really allows the 3 little "gills" to pop and fit the pipe. I don't think it would work and look as good if it was a round shank. The pipe is only about 4.75" in length. The other dimensions are 1.86"H x 1.53"BW x .68"CD x 1.54"BD. It weighs 1.45 oz. One of the things i dig the most about it is the very light sandblast that really shows the grain in the pipe, especially the cross grain throughout, which IMO resembles a tiger shark to go along with the "Mako" shark theme. I would have just called it the tiger shark to begin with, lol. It smokes great and i have been a fan of Jason's (Briar Bird Pipes) work for a little while now, glad i could finally own one for a steal of a price. I will definitely be on the lookout for more in the future.
20140529_223519-600x450.jpg

20140529_223533-600x450.jpg

20140529_2236022-600x450.jpg

20140529_223627-600x450.jpg

20140529_224139-600x450.jpg

20140529_224153-600x450.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - that is a handsome pipe. I don't normally go for colored stems other than amber, but that blue is very cool. And I like the diamond shank too - happy smoke rings to you!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks peck and six, much appreciated.
I absolutely love the colored stems, mainly the ebonite brindle ones, with Cumberland being my favorite. The only other one i really like that is not ebonite is the solid white acrylic, which i think looks very good with a range of different finishes and types of pipes. As soon as i saw that pipe, the first thing that stood out was the beautiful stem work and i had to have it. Everything else was just added bonuses and icing on the cake, as i knew of Briar Bird Pipes and that i would be getting a quality pipe.
Premal is the man. I wrote this in another thread earlier, but he forgot to send me the briar bird sleeve with the pipe. I messaged him and told him what had happened, because i specifically asked before if the pipe came with the sleeve and he said it did come with one, but he was not sure if it was original. He immediately apologized for the mixup and said he would either send the original sleeve, or if he could not find it, he would send me one of his premium leather pouches he uses for his Chheda pipes. This was on Saturday i believe, and he sent it out on monday. That is an example of good customer service and although it is not a huge deal, he now has a return customer that will definitely do business with him again in the future and tell about the experience, like i am doing here. Good quality customer service goes a LONG WAY, and some people/businesses seem to often forget that these days.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very nice, can't believe you are putting a softie bit and covering up that gorgeous stem. Just messing with you, each to his own. I'm gonna have to get me some,of that blue cumberland. I love it!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hahaha I know man, but I'm a serious clincher and I'd probably bite right through that soft son of a bitch, haha. I put a softie on every one of my pipes, except my cobs. This pipe is a nosewarmer as well and was made to be a clincher. I agree though completely, it does look tacky on the beautiful stemwork. They should make clear softies if they don't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.