PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Today I received a package containing my new Briar Bird Lovat.
IMG_0076.jpg

I met Jason at the NASPC show in Columbus this year and I did purchase a bent pipe from him there at the show. After I got home and had thought about it for a while I decided I didn't really like the pipe I had bought and contacted Jason to ask him if we could work out a deal on a different pipe.
IMG_0077.jpg

Lately I've been into the Lovat shape so we worked out a idea on the classic shape and this is the result. A mild sandblast and a warm stain with lots of reds and orange that looks great with the light colored saddle bit.
IMG_0072.jpg

What I like about Lovats most is the straight round shank. I like to hold the pipe like a cigar while I smoke and this briar bird feels great. The long draft hole through the briar allows the smoke to cool while also providing a wide open draw.
IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

This is the first time I've commissioned a pipe and it was a great experience I hope I can have the good fortune to repeat. I have not smoked the new pipe yet but I will be sure to post about it when I do.
Thanks Jason Great Job!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Smoking one of his pipes as I type this.As someone who has 4 of his pipes,I can't possibly say enough good about his work... :clap:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I just got around to smoking the first half-bowl in the new briarbird. It smokes great! The draw is very open and I got a 35 minute smoke out of that half bowl of C & D Autumn Evening. I'd safely say Jason has got the engineering down pat in his pipes. Once fully broken in this pipe will easily be a 1+ hour smoker.

001-5.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Mike - that's a beauty. Great job Briar Bird, expert work with the sandblast too - impressive looking pipe!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys! I'm happy to be supporting a local pipe carver. It's been something I've wanted to do for a while. I I also have to say that it is pretty cool experience to light up a pipe that was made just for me. I recommend it.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Bentmike, how many briar birds do you have now? I really love his work. It is a shame he doesn't post more. I would also give any SEO help to him for free, as I have for Storient, if he wanted. I would love to give any support I can to small artisans.

Status
Not open for further replies.