PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Can anyone tell me what humidity briars prefer? Down here in Az. we have long periods of low humidity (15 to 20% ). Wondering if it could affect my briars. If it does, I guess I'll just have to go lookin for a perfect pipe armoir to get some humidity for my pals. Its a dry heat. Thanx for any help on this.Is this a tick bowing? :worship:

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Consistency is what finished pies need - true of wood in general.

A pipe made in Florida will start out with a higher percentage of moisture in it than a pipe made in Arizona. A person who lives in Colorado must let his pipe acclimate (shrink, expand, warp, etc.) to the humidity in his home, and if problems arise, deal with them there. Attempting to maintain an artificial moisture content in a pipe must ultimately prove futile, I think.
anthony

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I thought one of the properties of briar is its ability to absorb water as that is the actual purpose of the the burl.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I never really took humidity into consideration with my pipes. You brought this to my awareness and now I'm going to be worried haha

Guess I'll just let nature take its course on my pipes. I will do all I can to preserve them and keep them in mint condition, but I won't create a pipe humidor for them haha

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Being from MN we have enough moisture in the air to probably not have to worry about it too much.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
All wood (excluding adulterations like plywood or resin impregnated materials) moves as a result of changes in heat and moisture content. It always moves in three directions based upon its orientation in the living tree/bush. Depending on the species, a stable wood moves the same amount in each of the three directions.
There are some things that you can do to wood to diminish the movement and the internal tensions which result. The purpose of boiling the briar blocks before being put out to dry is to break the cell walls, soften the lignum, and relieve the internal stresses. I have heard a lot about removing tannins and resins, but boiling, particularly for burls, has been a standard technique for a long, long time.
The primary problem of movement in a finished pipe is the disparity in movement of different matierials. A tenon might be tight in one season and looser in another. The incorporation of ivory, horn, etc. present an extra point of potential failure. Probably the main reason that screw joints were used so much on older pipes is because glue joints, between disparate materials, almost always fail over time. Our modern glues work better, but whether they are good enough we will discover over the next fifty years.
anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.