PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
If a briar pipe smokes hot no matter what you smoke or how slow you smoke then is it the pipe that is defective??

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
The walls are fairly thick not thin by any means This is not my first briar but it is the only briar I’ve had that continues to get hot I’ve smoked 2 pouches of PA half pound of largo yuck lol and 3 pouches of HH 1 pouch of CH and half a pouch of CBW so I’m sure it’s broke in but then again we all learn something new every day and I’m all ears

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Probably not. How big a pull (hit, for the younger folks) are you taking? Slow smoking should be coupled with just a wee sip of smoke for most people and blends. My leathered mouth lets me take fair sized pulls when I'm working hard. So, my work pipes are often hot even though my cadence hasn't changed.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
I also like to add that I smoke to sip not to pour it’s not uncommon for PA to need several relights for me

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Could be something defective in the briar, but more likely your technique. But if your other briars aren't getting hot?. Maybe give the pipe a month(s) rest and come back to it fresh.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
He covered most of the usual culprits, so I'm thinking the next logical questions are what's the pipe, where'd it come from, & is it (YUKK!) varnished/shellacked? It could be weak (as in, not dense enough) briar cut from the loosest part of the burl. Joe, does it heat up all over the outside, or just in a spot or spots?? [Thoughty tobacconist look] :puffpipe:

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I've had particular briars smoke considerably hotter than others...not due to thin walls, and obviously not due to the blend I'm smoking nor my smoking style, since these are the same. It happens. If I have to greatly change the way I smoke for a single pipe, it goes away.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably what jpm' said. This briar may just be highly conductive of heat. I'm assuming the material is briar -- a different wood might also conduct more heat. I have a thin walled Chacom zulu that get's pretty hot, so I hold it by the shank, but It smokes just fine, and I could see the thin bowl walls when I bought it, so I wasn't surprised, just the nature of the beast. If it bothers you, you might trade it off, but if you don't, you can hold it by the shank and carry on.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Maybe the airflow is restricted, product of bad design.

When you draw on the empty pipe, how does it feel?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All other possibilities eliminated, it's probably the briar. It happens. I have one pipe that used to heat up very suddenly, no matter how slowly I smoked it. It's one of the few pipes that I maintain a slightly thicker cake, and that's taken care of the issue.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
It’s a Grabow briar from a local tobacco shop for lack of options and it sometimes gets to hot to hold I use the 5 second rule place it against my wrist for 5 seconds if it’s uncomfortable it’s to hot I recently made a pipe from mulberry wood and I smoke the same tobacco in it and the same speed the mulberry pipe never gets hot and if briar will withstand 700 degrees should I really worry??

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I wouldn't, no. As long as you don't blister your fingers, set your clothes on fire, or start seeing a blowtorch in front of your nose....

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
In my modest collection, I have one pipe that consistently smokes much hotter than the others. It is a Peterson with fairly thick walls. My other Peterson has thin walls, and it never gets so hot. I enjoy them both, although I do need to give the hot one a time out more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.