PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks to Brian Levine for dealing in detail with my Forums question about how troves of partially completed pipes survive decades and return to the retail market, on the pipes magazine talk show. His experience with pipe makers gave him insight on how hundreds of partially completed pipes made for specific retailers who may have gone out of business get packed away in boxes to be rediscovered many moons later, when the briar has had time to dry and lose weight, so these pipes are often fine smokers at great prices, such as the Hilson and Ropp pipes that have surfaced over the past few years. Great information from "the inside." Thank you so much!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Also good to know there's still a decent quantity of unsmoked old wood out there. Now to get my grubby hands on some of it!
When someone like Brian who's been around the proverbial block a time or two speaks, it pays to listen. His pipe parts segment are often my favorite portion of the radio show.

I have a whole box of bulldog stummels that were frazed at the turn of the century, and they've made excellent smokers for me. I purchased them from a guy who had made plans to do the same, but time got away from him. They also came with the decorative rim covers and bands, but I never used any of them, they looked way to frilly for me. Ha, and for a guy who sets stones in his pipes, it has to be over the top to be too frilly IMO.
I have to get caught back up on the Radio show. When they switched to Tuesdays, it threw my groove off. That is also my pipe club night and lodge meetings. I've got some catching up to do.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I love the radio show, and I've learned so much from there its almost silly - took me from a clueless pipesmoker to where I feel fairly informed and have very good pipe smoking experiences. Its not only great to pick up tips that help you with your hobby - but to understand so much about the history and influencers of the entire craft of pipes and tobacco - I feel quite rounded in the pipe universe between the radio show and this forum.
Now, you want to talk about a schedule change throwing your groove off- between a 2 year old, a 6 month old, moving to a new state, buying a new house, and changing careers....I'm so far behind on the radio show I need a time machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.