PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jule

Lurker
Sep 13, 2015
I am looking for a Bulldog or Rhodesian shaped pipe, preferably with a smooth finish. I think I have it pretty much narrowed down between between a Stanwell Royal Guard 191 and Brebbia Series X Bulldog. From my research these should both be pretty good smokers. However, the Stanwell is somewhat less than the Brebbia.

Can anyone give me some added insight as to which would be a better buy or suggestions on some others in that price range that I may have overlooked. Thanks. Much appreciated.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My favorite rhodie. Ok, my only rhodie.
peterson_zps9c18ddc1-1.jpg

That's an Peterson Irish Harp 999. They go for around $120 or so. The Donegal Rocky version is less, but I can't vouch for that one.
Since I need another in that shape I've got my eye on Brebbia Ninja Sabbiata 301. It's about the same price.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I usually buy my estate pipes from Danish pipe shop, allways Stanwell cause I find them to be reliable and very good smokers, but I get the old danish production and cant say anything about new ones made in Italy. But I have never encounter a bad Stanwell

Mar 1, 2014
Quality will probably be similar. If you can get the Stanwell for significantly less that's probably a safe bet.
I like Brebbia for a few of the unique shapes that they make, and they are longstanding manufacturer, but if you're just after a regular shape I wouldn't pay too much extra for the name.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been entirely satisfied with the Italian production Stanwells, including a shape 32 bulldog. I'm sure the 191 would also be fine. pipesandcigars seems to have especially good pricing on Stanwells, but shop all of the sponsors to see who has what you want.

jule

Lurker
Sep 13, 2015
Thanks guys. Good advice all. I have a Peterson already and it's a great pipe, but I want to try a brand I didn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.