PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I'll be buying myself a belated father's day pipe tomorrow, and the local B&M has a couple dozen Brighams, and handful of Petersons, a bunch of Brebbias and Vauens.
I was leaning back and forth between a half bent Peterson billiard and a straight Brigham bulldog and a half bent Brigham volcano. But now I'm wondering if I should consider the Brebbias and Vauens for a switch. Does anyone have any experience with either of these makers? Italian and German I believe.
Edit: I should mention, my cap is $100. These aren't top of the line by any stretch, but moderately nice (I'm hoping)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I have a Vauen 005 Rusticated 1/2 Bent apple. It came with the adapter and one filter. The filter was pointless, because it removed too much of the flavor. The adapter seems essential or I end up with a wet smoke. The pipe is a great smoke and was a great value. I can't figure out which line it is from. It looks a good bit like the classic 4406, but without the rings and of course rusticated and not a blast.
Frankly, the adapter is a little bit annoying. I find I need to remove it after every smoke because moisture gets stuck around it. Other than that it is a great little smoke. I have always admired Brebbia pipes, but I don't own one yet.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I had a brand new vauen but I gifted it to a buddy who gaveme an entire wet shaving kit. He loves it and is now a pipe smoker, so yaay us! He is also now adding more pipes to his rotation, so I think hes going to stay smoking.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Hmm so they're certainly reputable then, with maybe a slight advantage to Brebbia (on the account of the adapter). But for the price point do they really compete with comparable Peterson and Brighams.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
irwinmetro, I'm not sure how they compete since the only Peterson I ever had was a P-lip and I couldn't stand it. Also, my Vauen was about $56 at the B&M I purchased it from, and my state has no sales tax.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I have a Brebbia Golden Extra billiard that is a fine smoker. Just over $100. Here's a quick and dirty photo I took a few minutes ago.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just received my Brebbia 1960's series Sabbiata Nera bent bulldog in the mail today so I have no opinion on how it smokes, however it is drilled perfectly, is perfectly sized to my liking and looks to be well made. I'll be breaking it in this weekend so I'll let you know. However, as others have said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 4 brands you mentioned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have experience with either of these pipes, but I do like the idea of branching out. Five or six

brands tend to be talked up, and there are a lot of good pipes that aren't in that small circle. I enjoy

owning a few filter pipes, but they aren't the center of my rotation, and I don't think adaptors deliver

quite the draw and flavor of unfiltered pipes, but that's really subjective. My current enthusiasm, and

take it with a grain of salt maybe, is BC's, well made French pipes available in both filtered and

unfiltered. A number of these come well below $100. If not now, maybe in your future.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I have a Brebbia Ninja Sabbiata and its a wonderful smoke. You can't go wrong with Brebbia pipes

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Brebbia's Rocciata line are some of the niftiest rustications out there. Like a piece of coral.
I own one essentially like this:Brebbia Rociatta
Great smoker.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I own a Brebbia Brasil and an old estate Golden Gnome. Both excellent smokers.

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I have four vauen pipes and one brebbia... I like the vauen a better. But that my own personal opinion
Jmes

Status
Not open for further replies.