PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Hi everyone I'm having some trouble with correct cadence and how I should be performing the breath smoking technique, I have watched quite a few videos and I understand the inhale through the nose letting a small amount of smoke come in and exhale through the nose and once my mouth is full of smoke breath it slowly through the pipe, I don't have too much trouble putting this into practice, what I'm confused about is are you supposed to just stick the pipe in your mouth and breath this way for the full length of the bowl? Before trying this technique I always tried to take a sip of smoke and allow atleast 10 seconds before taking another sip but with the breath method it seems like there isn't any rest between puffs, just slowly breathing in and out until the bowl is done or am I totally wrong here? It seems like after a few minutes I end up with an extremely hot pipe and tobacco starts to get scorched

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You don't have to continually clench, though you can. There are many variations, but the idea is to take your time and enjoy.
https://youtu.be/Jw8R7mxECvY

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The breath method is, in my personal opinion, the best starting point for a beginner to pace oneself. After you master the breath method, and you get the idea behind the pipe smoking ritual, you can combine methods. The whole point is to find the best way of smoking for you, so that you get the best out of your experience.
I recommend watching muttnchop piper's video on the breath method. He does an excellent job in as far as explaining it in a simple manner.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I agree with chasing embers and Maddox. I will add that when the bowl gets way too hot only exhale through the pipe until it cools off. This is straight from the muttnchop himself.. I noticed also if I continually clench and breath that before long the bowl is way too hot. So I do one to three or so breaths and then breathe without smoking for however long, 5, 10, 20 seconds. There's no rules, whatever you find gives you a good smoke is the right way for you.

I don't blow back through my pipe. I just leave my mouth unsealed. The key part is to relax your cadence, just stop puffing at all, and as you breath the gullet of your neck will be slightly enough to keep a trickle of smoke circulating. It really requires no thought. And, it would make the most boring video in the world, because there is literally nothing to see. I have seen a few and they really aren't exactly what I do or have seen men do while growing up. Not that they are wrong, just doing it differently.
When Kashmir was prolifically posting here, he would write that it is merely just walking around with a lit pipe in your mouth, with no sign of smoke or anything.
You are merely savoring the smoke. I usually do it when driving, working at my workbench, working in the garden, reading, or walking, or really anything that occupies my mind, so that smoking becomes a passive, non-cognitive thing.
At first, yeh, it does take some thinking, like in learning to drive, you have to think about every little detail of shifting gears, let off gas/clutch/shift/ gas/ as you let off clutch... But, then in no time you are shifting gears without even thinking about what you are doing.
But, there is no one way of doing any of this. Just find a way that works with your... style.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
Thanks for the replies, I think ill just have to play around with it more until I get the hang of it, and have a few breaks to let the pipe cool between 3 breaths

The name of the technique comes from allowing your natural cadence of breath to passively pump the gullet of your neck to control the pipe. There shouldn't be a difference in the cadence of your natural breathing and the pipe. If so, you'd have to call it something else. If you are getting the pipe too hot, maybe you are hyperventilating? Smoking while jogging? Nervous?

Reactions: Somern

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
I've been practicing and I am finding I can keep it a little cooler but is it normal to constantly have smoke in my mouth? I feel like I always have a cloud of smoke in there and I just pull more in with each breath and let a small amount out through my nose as I breath out but the whole time the pipe is puffing out smoke with each exhale, I hope I'm not annoying anyone with all the questions I just don't know anyone who smokes a pipe so it's difficult to know if I'm doing right or wrong

I probably always have smoke in my mouth, especially the top of my throat. I do occasionally take the pipe out of my mouth. And, I will sometimes puff a few times here and there. You don’t have to be just a one technique guy, amd not all pipes like to be smoked the same way. It takes time, especially to learn how you and your pipe meld together. To me, clenching connects you to the pipe, more so than just holding it. You and the pipe become one thing. You synchronize. But, you can take the pipe out when it’s uncomfortable. Just keep it enjoyable. You’ll gind what works best for you... and each of your pipes.

For me, some pipes are better for long breathsmokes, and some are better rested or puffed occasionally. They are small differences, but the fun can be in figuring this out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
sort of like circular breathing
Very much like it. You're never actually using your breath to draw on the pipe but creating a vacuum in your mouth to the rhythm of your breathing.

gordon28

Lurker
Nov 22, 2018
I think I'm getting the hang of this more now, I just smoked a bowl of gawith hoggarth plum and rum with a bit of Cavendish added in, I noticed that even though I had to relight a few times when I tampered the ash I had more to push down than usual before it went out so its definitely helping to keep it lit longer and Ive found that by having that constant smoke in my mouth rather than taking a draw then exhaling it it gets to sit longer and the flavours are a lot more pronounced and more enjoyable, its also a lot more relaxing smoking this way than bringing the pipe up and down to take puffs, I got about 40mins smoking from the bowl in a corn cob legend and when I emptied it out the ash more fine and whiter all though I did have a bit of dottle left but not much, a few more bowls and I think ill have this technique down for me, just the fact I can taste the flavour more and without the scorching tastes or inconsistent flavour from the bowl becoming too hot makes this so much more enjoyable

Status
Not open for further replies.