PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hello pipe smokers! I've been dabbling a little more in VaPers lately and I'm curious to try to learn the breath smoking technique that people often mention in conjunction with truly enjoying a good Virginia flake. I've watched a few videos on the technique but I just don't seem to understand what's going on. Can someone explain to me, in words, exactly what breath smoking is? Thank you for your knowledge.

shadowwolf

Lurker
Oct 29, 2015
Im not sure if this is the breathing technique you are talking about but stogie farts (youtube pipe smoker) has a video on retro-haling. Pretty much this is the act of subtly using your tongue/other mouth muscles to push the smoke from your mouth through your sinuses and out your nose while your exhaling through your nose. It definitely takes practice, but once you get the hang of it you can definitely pull some more taste out of your pipe while breathing like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6M_g_X0D8
Hope this helps

^^I really like this guy's videos, but to me breathsmoking would make a less interesting video, because it even less visible. You get the pipe going and I prefer clenching, because you are more fully connected. Then just allow the smoke to enter your mouth while breathing through your nose. Your throat or gullet will contract and constrict with each breath, acting as a natural passive bellows. The exiting smoke will leave partially through the pipe and partially through your lips around where the pipe keeps my lips slightly parted. As you relax, your breathing will become less frequent and more relaxed, so will the smoke. Then, I just do whatever it is I am doing while smoking, such as mowing the yard, working at the bench, reading, or whatever it is. I will sometimes take the pipe out to tamp, or just smoke till I taste ash.
In starting, you have to think about the process, like learning to drive a stickshift. Clutch, shift, gas, let off clutch... But, eventually, you can do it without thinking. Eventually, you will drive home without having even remembered that you shifted gears at all. Same with the pipe for me. I am not focused on the thing and the process. I just enjoy the flavors.

I don't always breathsmoke everytime I smoke my pipe. This is usually reserved for smoking when I am going to have my hands busy on something.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Cosmic, thank you for clarifying this. I think I was expecting to be pushing/ pulling a large quantity of smoke through the pipe. This should be small sips more or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.