PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
"If you are having trouble learning to "breath smoke" your bowl is packed too tight."
If you've followed my posts you know I've recently learned I have been packing my bowl too tight all along. Breath smoking is also quite a pleasure as well, something I couldn't really do before.
Agree or disagree, and why?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Agree; if I'm not breath smoking, I'm ember chasing. I enjoy breath smoking because it is effortless, and the pipe almost smokes itself. I chase embers in my fairly large pipes though for a more interactive, contemplative smoke.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I don't know that breath smoking requires a peculiar packing
Cortez, my recent experience is if I pack too tight, or if I don't leave enough expansion room when packing a folded flake, breath smoking stops. If ("""IF""") I'm doing it right I find you need a really open draw to make it work. It seems any restriction at all cancels the effect.

Yeh, flakes need room to expand as you smoke. If packed toot tight it will be a constant effort to keep it going. As far as ribbon goes, I just do a codger scoop and press it till it expands back a little. Actually, I don't use any method in packing. I just put it in the pipe and adjust with my tamp if it needs tightening. Very rarely, like blue moon rarely, do I pack too tight any more. I just do it without thinking much. But, I understand how someone starting out needs a method, at least until they understand how tight or loose to pack.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Breath smoking? What is that?
Basically a method of smoking a pipe where a normal breath, inhaled between both the nose and mouth simultaneously while having lips closed lightly on the bit of the pipe, and draws a slow, light stream of air through the bowl. It's possible to exhale the same way.
For some reason, flavours are found (at least with some blends) that aren't normally experienced with "normal" puffing.
As chasingembers said above, once you learn the method, the pipe almost smokes itself.
Look it up on YouTube, lots of great info there.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
This video needs to be a sticky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
@chasingembers - I love your new screen name! I just bought a few tins of Black Frigate on your recommendation. I will open one during the holidays.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:mrgreen: Was wandering if anyone noticed that. Have gotten a few smokers on and off the forum hooked on Black Frigate, and just thought it fit.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@chasingembers, I swear I noticed the change, however thought I was wrong because I didn't know it was possible to change username :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
User name is still chasingembers, just the member status line was changed. It used to be purple, and say "preferred member".

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Or perhaps "piper at the gates of dawn"
I must find out more about packing a pipe. It always seems to be too tight and going out, or too loose and going out, or dumpster fire.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I must find out more about packing a pipe. It always seems to be too tight and going out, or too loose and going out, or dumpster fire.
Unfortunately, there is no other way than trying and failing when it comes to pipe packing. I read a lot before packing my pipe, however I was so sure that I couldn't feel (yeah feel) the tobacco while packing. It is getting better after each pack. Think it like driving a car, in the beginning you are just a dummy, then you get better and better and after a while you realize that everything regarding the driving became an involuntary body response. You don't even force yourself to look at the mirror but it is a reflex. Same thing will happen with pipe packing. Pipesmagazine Youtube page has amazing videos about pipe packing methods, check and try them. You will find the best one working for you. Pipe packing is also related with the bowl shape I guess. In my case, I use air pocket method for small bowls, 3 step method for big bowls, Frank method for long narrow bowls; if I am smoking some flake, I rub it out, then load it, fold and stuff method doesn't work for me. What I realize is, long time pipe smokers are not even using any of those methods. They just pick up the tobacco and stuff it into the pipe and control the tightness of the baccy using their fingers. I know that I cannot do that right now, because my experience is not enough. You cannot reach nirvana as soon as you start meditating.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Basically a method of smoking a pipe where a normal breath, inhaled between both the nose and mouth simultaneously while having lips closed lightly on the bit of the pipe, and draws a slow, light stream of air through the bowl. It's possible to exhale the same way.
I thought this was the way everyone smoked. I guess sometimes you need to take a heavy draw, but generally for me, that means the pipe is clogged or shortly will be by very wet tobacco.
What I realize is, long time pipe smokers are not even using any of those methods. They just pick up the tobacco and stuff it into the pipe and control the tightness of the baccy using their fingers.
The methods mostly teach what to be aware of and, over time, the smoker starts seeing the task in those terms. At that point, the reminders are less needed. Good description.

Status
Not open for further replies.