Breaking News From the BBC: CIA Subterfuge And Ocean Mining.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I read this over my morning coffee and just read it again. Quite a long read but a fascinating one......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/deep_sea_mining
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This starts out about covert recovery of a Soviet sub and after a thorough discussion of that launches (if you will) into an actual discussion of submarine mining. That'll probably happen, but the expense of doing it will exceed the proceeds from retrieved natural resources for many decades to come. The surface of the ocean is a pretty demanding and unpredictable environment, and sub-surface activity is limited by current technologies, despite some nifty stuff like finding the Titanic.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
the expense of doing it will exceed the proceeds from retrieved natural resources for many decades to come.
I suppose we already are doing this with oil and natural gas. Gold is mined off of Alaska and Africa underwater. Undersea salvage has been going on for years especially after WWII. Very interesting that they can actually do this from the surface with large claws sort of like the coin operated machines in stores and restaurants. There was something in the news about this recently where they were salvaging sunken warships with no regard to the fact that these ships are now graves. Terrible, just terrible :evil:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I recall a documentary shown on British TV about ten years ago where they were hoovering up diamonds at the outflow of certain South African rivers so the technology isn't exactly new.
I just thought it fascinating that the US built a huge ship with the express purpose of retrieving a sunken Russian sub.
The technology of some of these vessels is quite eye watering.
Regards,
Jay.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
The technology to not only find, but also recover shipwrecks from depths of 3-5 miles below sea level has been around since the mid 1980's.
So the technology to perform most any exploration and recovery in the deep blue is not only real, but also expanding.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Breaking news from 1974. Howard Hughes was involved in a lot of covert government activity. I bet his participation made the Soviets even more suspicious. Submarines are kept very secret, the ability to salvage the intelligence in the sub that probably wasn't destroyed due to the accident catching people off guard must've been tempting for the U.S. This is the time period right after the Nuclear non-proliferation treaty and the anti-ballistic missile treaty.

Status
Not open for further replies.